Aug 28, 2012, 8:53 AM EDT
Casey Kelly has had more advanced pub than a lot of rookies. He was a big-time draftee for the Red Sox and famously split time as a shortstop and a pitcher in the minors. Then he was part of the Adrian Gonzalez trade v.1.
On a personal note, the girlfriend lives in San Antonio, has season tickets to the Double-A Missions and watched him pitch a bunch last year during which time she decided he was one of her baseball boyfriends, so I get an earful about him. I showed her, though: I saw him in his skivvies in the clubhouse during spring training back in March and won’t tell her how he looked.
Anyway, because of all of that, his major league debut last night was notable. A debut I would have missed but for the fact that the girlfriend reminded me of it — which is awful on my part considering he was pitching against the Braves and I wasn’t planning on watching them — but I tuned in anyway. And the kid was impressive.
I wasn’t a dominating start. He only struck out four and was only touching the low 90s when scouting reports say he’s capable of much more. But he was nonetheless impressive. His curve looked great, fooling many a Brave batter. He held Atlanta scoreless for six innings before the bullpen took the shutout the rest of the way. Thank God he didn’t strike out 12 or something or else the girlfriend would be writing mash notes to him all morning.
Anyway, just another thing going right for the Padres these days.
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 3
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 23
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 7
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 59
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 6
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (199)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (161)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)