Aug 28, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
With the Dodgers throwing around money like never before presumably one of their next moves will be trying to lock up reigning Cy Young winner Clayton Kershaw to a long-term contract extension.
This winter Kershaw and the Dodgers avoided arbitration with a two-year, $19 million deal that pays him $7.5 million this season and $11.5 million in 2013. And once that deal is over he’ll still be under team control for 2014 via arbitration, at which point Kershaw could hit the open market as a 27-year-old free agent.
All of which means there’s no huge rush for the Dodgers to get something done, but once their wallet is open it might not be such a bad idea and for his part Kershaw told Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times that he’d be open to working out an extension:
Yeah, sure, I’m always open to talks. I’ve had a great time here. I love the guys and I love everything about L.A. I’ll be here for two more years regardless. There’s no deadline or anything, so that’s good.
It’s a different situation because Kershaw still has two-plus seasons of team control remaining, but in terms of an extension buying out his potential free agent years Cole Hamels‘ recent six-year, $144 million extension with the Phillies would seemingly represent the starting point for any talks.
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 9
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 17
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 79
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 54
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (79)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)