ESPN agrees to broadcast games of every team at least once a year in the new deal

Aug 28, 2012, 2:30 PM EST

old TV

Just got the press release from MLB about the new ESPN rights deal. It’s mostly as reported this morning. This stood out, however:

ESPN has also made a commitment to showcase each of the 30 MLB Clubs at least once per season in a live game telecast.

This is at least a bone to fans of teams who don’t play for one of the big boys. ¬†Of course, I presume that fans of those teams will get to see their guys playing one of the big boys in one of these guaranteed games.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that. Ratings are what pay for these deals, and way more people will watch the Yankees play the Royals than will watch the Rays play the Royals.

1. mattyflex - Aug 28, 2012 at 2:33 PM

They must have caught wind of all those nasty memes I have been posting anonymously.

2. atworkident - Aug 28, 2012 at 3:05 PM

I suppose that is true… once the Yankees fall to third place over the weekend their fans won’t flee like the Red Sox fans.

• 18thstreet - Aug 28, 2012 at 3:44 PM

1996 called.

It’s for you.

• atworkident - Aug 28, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Geez… 1996? I thought I told Kerri Strug to stop contacting me at this address.

3. atworkident - Aug 28, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Also… that is NOT a good thing. The ESPN announcers are AWFUL.

• cosanostra71 - Aug 28, 2012 at 4:08 PM

at least Joe Morgan is gone

4. hungryjack1 - Aug 28, 2012 at 3:27 PM

As a Yankee fan, I look at this as a positive, I despise it when ESPN and their 2nd rate announcers have the broadcast.

5. hittfamily - Aug 28, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Thank god. I will finally get to watch an out of market Yankee game now.

6. deathmonkey41 - Aug 28, 2012 at 3:35 PM

I wish they would have had the added provision of “Chris Berman will never be allowed in the booth during a game and we promise to remove him from the HR Derby.”

• hittfamily - Aug 28, 2012 at 3:42 PM

To quote another ESPN color guy, “THAT WOULD BE AWESOME BABY”. I vote Skip Bayless and Tony Kornheiser to do the broadcasts. It might be enough to put the nail in that network’s coffin.

7. alexb64 - Aug 28, 2012 at 4:25 PM

This is fantastic news for fans of ignored teams that have grown tired of their RSN’s dedicated coverage & long for terrible announcers, endless promos for ESPN/ABC shows & never ending crawling sports tickers & graphics that make you feel like you’re watching a really extended Headline News highlight reel.

When I’m looking through the broadcast schedules my stomach sinks when I see it’s a national game on ESPN. I gave up on Saturday afternoon games when FOX destroyed it for the sake of making sure they could trap audiences into watching 1 game like it would miraculously turn into NFL where the unopposed game is a huge draw nationwide so that doesn’t bother me like ESPN.

8. uwsptke - Aug 28, 2012 at 4:25 PM

This week on Sunday night baseball, watch the Royals take on the Yankees! Next week, the Red Sox battle the Orioles followed by an exciting interleague matchup between the Bronx Bombers and Padres! All this leading up to a showdown the following week between the Red Sox and Mariners!

9. qcubed3 - Aug 28, 2012 at 5:20 PM

So I take it this means that the Yankees and Red Sox combined, will play ever other team, every year.

Why does anyone watch ESPN again? Oh, that’s right, to watch Stewart Scott’s eyes drift further and further apart each year + Mel Kiper’s hair * Chris Berman’s Hi-larious puns.

10. stairwayto7 - Aug 28, 2012 at 7:03 PM

So in American League it wil be Seattle at Boston, K.C. at Yankees, Indians at Boston, Twins at Yankees and Houston at Texas. National league Padres at Dodgers, Rockies at Dodgers, Pirates at Cubs, and Marlins at Cubs!

11. anxovies - Aug 29, 2012 at 11:25 AM

If ESPN will just sign on Joe Morgan, I might actually watch a game or two. I never understood why nobody liked the grumpy old fart. A smart baseball man who cut through the BS and explained what was happening on the field and with the players. With a MLBTV subscription and a Roku I could care less what games are broadcast.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5572)
  2. M. Kemp (3188)
  3. C. McGehee (2969)
  4. W. Middlebrooks (2965)
  5. J. Upton (2916)