Aug 28, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
Dallas Braden had his shoulder operated on for the second time in 18 months and the news wasn’t good.
Braden went under the knife for “exploratory” surgery and doctors found a torn rotator cuff, which is a different injury that the torn capsule he had repaired in early 2011.
In fact, A’s trainer Nick Paparesta told Joe Stiglich of the San Jose Mercury News that Braden’s rotator cuff was intact when doctors examined him prior to that 2011 procedure “so the assumption is Braden tore his rotator cuff while trying to come back from the first surgery.”
Braden made history in 2010 by throwing a perfect game on Mother’s Day, but he hasn’t pitched since April of 2011 and while no official timetable for his return has been announced yet Braden is unlikely to pitch at all next year even if he can avoid further setbacks. He’s being paid $3.35 million this season, so Oakland is all but guaranteed to non-tender him before another round of arbitration.
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 2
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)