Aug 28, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
Dallas Braden had his shoulder operated on for the second time in 18 months and the news wasn’t good.
Braden went under the knife for “exploratory” surgery and doctors found a torn rotator cuff, which is a different injury that the torn capsule he had repaired in early 2011.
In fact, A’s trainer Nick Paparesta told Joe Stiglich of the San Jose Mercury News that Braden’s rotator cuff was intact when doctors examined him prior to that 2011 procedure “so the assumption is Braden tore his rotator cuff while trying to come back from the first surgery.”
Braden made history in 2010 by throwing a perfect game on Mother’s Day, but he hasn’t pitched since April of 2011 and while no official timetable for his return has been announced yet Braden is unlikely to pitch at all next year even if he can avoid further setbacks. He’s being paid $3.35 million this season, so Oakland is all but guaranteed to non-tender him before another round of arbitration.
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 41
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 72
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 24
- 2014 Preview: Kansas City Royals 17
- Kris Medlen expects to have another Tommy John surgery 13
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (102)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (97)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (89)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)