Aug 28, 2012, 12:16 PM EST
It’s not often that a starting pitcher with a 13-5 record and 3.89 ERA gets dumped from the rotation and demoted to the bullpen less than two months after making the All-Star team, but that’s exactly what happened to Lance Lynn.
Cardinals manager Mike Matheny decided to pull Lynn from the rotation in favor of rookie Joe Kelly and not surprisingly Lynn isn’t happy about the move. Matheny indicated to Rick Hummel of the St. Louis Post Dispatch that Lynn could be moved back into the rotation if needed, but for now he’ll be in the mix for key spots as a reliever.
Lynn was 12-4 with a 3.10 ERA as recently as July 22, but in six starts since then he posted a 7.31 ERA while allowing opponents to hit .339 with a .990 OPS. Joe Kelly, meanwhile, has a 3.26 ERA in 77 innings and has allowed more than three runs just once in 12 starts. Too much quality starting pitching is certainly a very nice problem to have, although Lynn probably doesn’t see it quite that way.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 11
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 56
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 141
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 37
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (141)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)