Mac Thomason of Braves Journal nears the end of his battle with cancer

Aug 28, 2012, 4:03 PM EDT

Mac Thomason

Awful news from Alex Remington, who has become the caretaker of Mac Thomason’s Braves Journal. Mac has been moved to hospice. Nothing in life is certain, but it seems like Mac’s years-long battle with cancer is nearing its end.

I wrote about Mac last October when his prognosis became bleak and he set off from his home in Alabama to go to Philadelphia for experimental treatment.  Always one to (jokingly) hate on anything and everything that is not the Atlanta Braves, I’m sure Mac has felt no small amount of irony being in Philly all of this time.  After all, he taught me everything I know about Philly trolling. I force it, but for him it was effortless. Like this sort of thing, from the beginning of some random series against the Phillies sometime in the past few years:

“Philadelphia, known as “The City of Brotherly Love” ever since Benjamin Franklin invented sarcasm in 1767, is the largest city in Pennsylvania and a suburb of New York.”

Always droll and always cranky. And his readers love him for it.

There’s no way I’m doing what I do today if it weren’t for Mac. I had let my baseball fandom wane a great bit by the time I stumbled over Braves Journal. He allowed me to catch up when life seemed too busy for baseball, and eventually it became so enjoyable catching up over at Braves Journal each day I made the time for it. All because a university librarian from Alabama had nothing better to do with his nights than watch every single Braves game and recap it.  And yeah, I pretty much ripped off the tone of his recaps for “And That Happened.”

Here’s hoping Mac’s final days, if indeed these are his final days, are comfortable and peaceful. Thanks for your inspiration, Mac.

1. Stacey - Aug 28, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Awful news. Cancer sucks.

2. illcomm - Aug 28, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Ghost Bless him n his family.

3. illcomm - Aug 28, 2012 at 4:14 PM

God bless him n his family.

4. markcycy - Aug 28, 2012 at 5:04 PM

one thing phils and braves fans can agree on is that cancer blows.

5. muskyhunter2542 - Aug 28, 2012 at 5:10 PM

So sad, my friend just found out yesterday that he has pancreatic cancer. We need to kick cancers ass!!!

6. stlouis1baseball - Aug 28, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Terrible news. Good bless Mac Thomson and his family and friends during their time of need.

7. rjmarrella - Aug 28, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Awful news. Great quote about Philly.

8. pepefreeus - Aug 28, 2012 at 5:43 PM

News that I never wanted to read.

“Droll and cranky” is an excellent summation of his style.

9. snowbirdgothic - Aug 28, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Very sorry to hear that. Fingers are crossed for a miracle or two.

10. cosanostra71 - Aug 28, 2012 at 7:29 PM

really? Who are these assholes going around thumbing down comments expressing regret and sympathy for a man suffering from the latter stages of cancer?

11. schmedley69 - Aug 28, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Hopefully his cancer takes after the Braves and disappears down the stretch.

12. indaburg - Aug 28, 2012 at 10:56 PM

So, so sorry to hear this news. I don’t really believe in miracles, but a little part of me always hopes for one. Here’s to hope.

13. denny65 - Aug 29, 2012 at 11:34 AM

A classy and obviously heart-felt article, Craig, and yeah, cancer sucks.

14. jon623 - Aug 30, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Terrible, terrible news… whatever the outcome, however it turns out for this man, I pray for him and his family that they can, in one way or another, find peace. Keep your chin up, Craig. Count this life as a blessing to you, and battle on. Cheers.

A managerial overanalysis epidemic