Aug 28, 2012, 10:40 PM EDT
UPDATE: The Dodgers just announced that Kemp left the game with a right knee contusion and was taken for precautionary X-rays on his jaw. He doesn’t have any concussion symptoms, so it sounds like he won’t have to miss much time.
9:54 PM: Matt Kemp crashed into the center field fence at Coors Field last night in the eighth inning, but managed to stay in the game. He wasn’t as fortunate tonight.
Kemp was trying to track down a fly ball off the bat of Josh Rutledge in the bottom of the first inning tonight when he ran full-speed into the center field fence. You can watch video of the play here.
Kemp was on the ground for several moments while being examined by team trainers, but he eventually got to his feet and convinced all involved that he was OK to stay in the game. The ball found him with the very next batter though, as Jordan Pacheco hit a bloop to center field which caused Kemp to make a diving attempt. He came up empty-handed and appeared to be flexing his neck and jaw when he got back up. He was removed from the game after the next batter.
Kemp has already served two stints on the disabled list this year with hamstring injuries. The Dodgers have added plenty of reinforcements over the past month, but the road to a potential postseason berth would be a lot tougher if he requires another extended absence.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 56
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)