Aug 28, 2012, 10:15 PM EDT
Yeah, Josh Harrison bowled over Yadier Molina in the second inning Tuesday, knocking the St. Louis catcher out of the game soreness in his back, neck and shoulders. It was a violent collision, and the Cardinals weren’t happy about seeing maybe their best player leave with an injury.
So, of course, Jake Westbrook threw at Harrison three innings later, plunking him in the leg with a first-pitch fastball.
And, for that, I’m calling the Cardinals losers. There was nothing old school about it. It was just a whiny team not having things go its way and deciding to get revenge the only way it knew how.
Take it out on Harrison? Ridiculous. Molina was sitting there right in front of the plate, low to the ground, ready to absorb the collision. Harrison had absolutely nowhere else to go. Watch the play and tell me what Harrison should have done differently?
Look, I’m not a fan of this type of play. I’ve railed against it on this blog before. If I had my way, plate blocking would be illegal. But it isn’t, and this kind of thing is going to happen from time to time.
There’s nothing dirty about what Harrison did. If Harrison happened to be a Cardinal, every one of his teammates would have applauded his effort. He didn’t deserve a fastball to the thigh for it, and it’s mind-boggling that Westbrook wasn’t ejected for one of the most obviously intentional HBPs you’ll ever see.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 76
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)