Pablo Sandoval and Brandon Crawford make the craziest play you’ll see this year

Aug 28, 2012, 10:23 PM EDT

Pablo Sandoval had a bit of a tough time with a foul pop-up off the bat of Astros catcher Jason Castro in the bottom of the first inning tonight, so he decided to improvise. Fortunately for the Giants, Brandon Crawford was on the same wavelength.

Incredible. We usually see one or two plays a week where folks say, “No, this is the play of the year!” I’m not sure where this one ranks in that discussion, but it will be pretty tough to beat on the crazy/bizarre/weird/ridiculous scale.

1. renoedge - Aug 28, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Was watching the game when this play happened….and it was a heck of a play by both Sandoval and Crawford….but the sad thing is on Sports Center it will be play #3 behnd a standard ground out to A-rod….and a Tebow incomplete pass during practice today…..west coast (best coast!) teams get no respect from the east coast tilted media…thanks DJ for calling it what it was….a crazy good play!

• teaspoon1731 - Aug 28, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Honestly, I sometimes feel like Sportscenter doesn’t understand what a highlight is. I’ve seen amazing hits, great catches, ridiculous goals, unfathomable saves etc. Yet I turn on ESPN and a see a standard grounder, an unremarkable touchdown, and five basketball clips that put me to sleep.

• mrwillie - Aug 29, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Sportscenter’s absurdity has nothing to do with east coast vs west coast. Let’s not forget that up until a few months ago, all the Tebow news was coming from the west.

2. bigleagues - Aug 28, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Is there a Kung Fu name for that move Panda made?

• cubsrice - Aug 28, 2012 at 11:37 PM

I’ll work on a name later, but you could say that Crawford snatched the baseball from his hand…

3. Marty - Aug 28, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Teams don’t lose division races when shit like this is happening.

4. paulydefense - Aug 28, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Awesome play.

As for the SportsCenter topic, the number one play will probably end up being a random golfer hitting a lackluster golf shot, or a random soccer playing scoring a bland goal.

5. Bryz - Aug 28, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Okay, I know I trash talk ESPN and SportsCenter myself, but some of the complaints are being a bit absurd if you’re all talking about the Top 10 Plays.

6. randygnyc - Aug 29, 2012 at 12:11 AM

I don’t know how that play can be considered great when Sandoval played that ball so poorly to begin with. Crawford made a fantastic play saving the Panda from an embarrassing error.

7. thatyankeedude - Aug 29, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Thats how a routine pop up becomes a web gem right there! It was a cool play but probably shouldn’t have happened in the first place.

8. sharkcity408 - Aug 29, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Pablo’s overflowing FAT made this play possible. What a joke

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
  1. G. Stanton (3678)