Rafael Soriano slammed for being a no-show for the media after his blown save

Aug 28, 2012, 11:00 AM EST

rafael-soriano-yankees Getty Images

Rafael Soriano has had a fantastic season overall. Really, if back in April you told the Yankees Universe that Mariano Rivera was gonna miss almost all of the season because of a torn ACL, people would have assumed disaster. Instead, Soriano has nailed down most saves — he’s 33 for 36 where even Mariano River blew five saves last year — and has kept the bullpen humming.

But he got lit up last night and then he bolted the clubhouse before the press got there. John Harper says that’s bad news. Of course, because this is Harper, the notion is put forth with enough sanctimony and drama to choke a horse:

One thing for sure: Soriano doesn’t handle himself in defeat the way his predecessor did. Nobody was more accountable or classier when he did blow one than Rivera … He was gone before the Yankees’ PR people could even find him to ask if he would answer questions from the media. And don’t get this wrong: it’s not a media issue, it’s an accountability issue. It’s about being a professional in a clubhouse that has oozed professionalism since the day Derek Jeter showed up some 16 years ago.

Overwrought phrasing aside, he’s not wrong. I personally think that to a lot of reporters it is a media thing, but Harper correctly notes that players hate it when the guy everyone wants to talk to because of his screw up leaves and they have to give the quotes for the next day’s unhappy stories.

Harper wants to make it into some harbinger of doom and by the constant comparison to Rivera he wants to make it much larger than it is, which is kinda silly.  But it’s not nothing. Soriano probably annoyed his teammates with that.

1. proudlycanadian - Aug 28, 2012 at 11:11 AM

He may have had other plans for the evening. It was a late night. For example, the Jays told Ricky Romero to leave early because he was pitching tomorrow.

2. sabatimus - Aug 28, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Did Red Sox Media Disease suddenly show up in New York?

• frenchysplatediscipline - Aug 28, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Suddenly? It has always been this way.

It’s just been on the back burner with the spectacular implosion of the other half of the rivalry.

3. El Bravo - Aug 28, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Ah the Yankees and their first-world problems….so tough to be them.

4. jolink653 - Aug 28, 2012 at 11:39 AM

He probably didn’t want to say something emotional that he would regret later so he avoided the media…I actually don’t mind that he did it and I would get really annoyed too with stupid journalists asking me the same stupid “How do you feel about blowing the game” questions they always ask

• pisano - Aug 28, 2012 at 12:42 PM

jolink653….I think you covered it completely, the media can be / is brutal sometimes. It’s not like he’s undependable, the guy’s been really good, and who knows where the Yankees would be without him.

• paperlions - Aug 28, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Exactly.

If after your worst days at work each year, how would you feel if a gaggle of 20 hacks stuck microphones in your face to ask you how you felt about the day sucking or what you were thinking while it sucked?

I am guessing that most of us wouldn’t respond very well.

Not sure why his team mates would be that annoyed…how hard is it to just say, “Well, it was a tough loss, Soriano had a tough inning, but we still had a chance to win and couldn’t pull it off. We win as a team and lose as a team. We’ll get ‘em tomorrow. etc etc.”

• sabatimus - Aug 28, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Yep, those hacks will be there, regardless of the fact that Soriano has performed well above and beyond the call of duty–the hacks who will bait Soriano for an emotional outburst despite the fact that his ERA+ is 207. They’ll harp on the one bad outing, like flies on shit.

5. theawesomersfranchise - Aug 28, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Couldn’t care less if players and managers don’t want to talk to the media…..ever.
    It’s should be a privilege, not a right.
    And L oh Fracking L at a member of the media talking about professionalism in 2012

• theawesomersfranchise - Aug 28, 2012 at 12:01 PM

“Hi I don’t work for the Yankees, but you not helping me do my job is completely unprofessional of you, now I have to be creative and write without quotes, I think I’ll punish you by writing a scathing piece”

Basically

• savocabol1 - Aug 28, 2012 at 12:38 PM

well done

• sabatimus - Aug 28, 2012 at 5:44 PM

This makes me wonder who the Yanks’ equivalent of Dan Shaughnessy is.

6. hittfamily - Aug 28, 2012 at 12:04 PM

If you are the Yankees, you have to hope Mo retires in the offseason. Realistically, I think they have no desire to have him back. They have a very good bullpen without him, and a very good closer. You know Mo will threaten to sign with the Sox (at least he did the last time they negotiated) if they don’t pony up enough money. He is making 15 million this year. I don’t see him cutting that by 70% to retire a Yankee. I also don’t see the Yankees offering 15 million to fill a hole they don’t have.

Mo’s feelings will get hurt come negotiation time. Will he hurt the Yankees and retire a Red Sox?

• kevinbnyc - Aug 28, 2012 at 1:41 PM

You obviously didn’t watch Mariano pitch this year before he got hurt. Or last year. Or the year before. Or the year before. You get the idea.

Having another great arm in the bullpen could never be a bad thing, as evidenced by the Yankees being able to turn to Soriano after Mo’s injury.

• hittfamily - Aug 28, 2012 at 2:37 PM

You obviously don’t realize how foolish it would be to hope a 3rd reliever making more than 10 million per year decides to return Soriano, Igawa (5 years 46 million). It has nothing to do with how well he pitched. He is unnecessary. His 15 million worth of contributions (1.5 – 2 wins per year per Fangraphs) has been replaced by people far cheaper.

The Yankees are as good without him as they are with him. So why spend 15 million dollars to fix a problem that doesn’t exist?

But then I have to remember I am talking to a Yankee fan, who can’t comprehend that a 60 million dollar bullpen is unnecessary. Also, Mo isn’t as good as you think. He is worth 39 fWAR. That is great…..for a 6 year span. Guess which active non future hall of fame pitchers are worth more wins to their team during their careers than Mo. Brad Radke, Josh Beckett, and Bartolo Colon.

I didn’t say Yankee fans are going to have to hope Mo retires. Cashman and the Steinbrenners sure as hell will though. If you think they are writing a check for 15 million to him next year, you are nuts. And if you think Mo would be willing to cash a check for 4 million from a Steinbrenner, I’d also call you crazy. It will get ugly this offseason.

7. stevem7 - Aug 28, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Just another reason that this piece of trash should not be on this team. No pride and no professionalism. He belongs working for a Bobby V on any other team but the Yankees.

• theawesomersfranchise - Aug 28, 2012 at 12:31 PM

I can’t believe I need to point this out….
      Pitching very well > Interacting with the media and perceptions that have nothing to do on the field

ALWAYS

8. frenchysplatediscipline - Aug 28, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Maybe I’m wrong about this, but I don’t think this is a recurring problem for him. This wasn’t an issue (at least that I can remember) when he was in Atlanta. Sometimes people need to get away. Sometimes the best course of action after you fuck something up royally is to have some private personal self reflection. Or maybe to go grab a 12 back and head back to the house to drink it off. Maybe it’s the best way for some guys to get it out of their system and be able to forget about it the next day (as is required for a successful closer).

I am not defending the guy (cuz frankly I have never cared much for him), and I do think it’s shitty that other teammates are left to answer questions because he bolted – and I am sure one of the leaders on that team will take him aside today and discuss it. Privately.

To me this is just another case of a big city media making a mountain out of a molehill. So what if you are used to the uber-professional Jeter and Rivera? Let’s not crucify the guy until he makes it a habit, OK?

• atlsp - Aug 28, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Actually, I do remember some comments from Braves beat writers during Soriano’s time in Atlanta (particularly his last season) saying that he would occasionally do this same thing after a blown save. They were probably much more subtle about it than the NY writers – at least until after Soriano left town.

Regardless of your take on the “should players be required to talk to media?” debate, the current reality is that players will have to answer questions after a loss and I believe whoever blew it owes it to his teammates to be the one answering those questions.

• atlsp - Aug 28, 2012 at 2:30 PM

I couldn’t find any of the old Braves stories of this happening, but apparently it’s not even his first time as a Yankee:

• hittfamily - Aug 28, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Of course it isn’t. He did it within a week of being a Yankee after he got off to a bad start. Then he played another 250 games before he decided not to work overtime again.

Sensationalize a little bit Yanks?

9. mybrunoblog - Aug 28, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Harper is right. We need players to be accountable and answer questions about their performance on the field. Fans aren’t allowed into the clubhouse. I’ll likely never meet most of the players I root for. Therefore we NEED people to ask them the questions we can’t. Now I know with social media things have changed a bit but I still feel it is important for a player to take 5 minutes after a game to answer questions.
    We all watch the games. We know what happened. That said, the only way we find out WHY it happened is ask the people directly involved.

• paperlions - Aug 28, 2012 at 1:33 PM

I don’t need any of those things. Hell, I don’t even want those things.

• hittfamily - Aug 28, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Here. I’ll translate what he would have said:

“I made a bad pitch”

“It’s a long season”

“It happens to the best of us”

“He hit a good pitch”

Now is he allowed to wear pinstripes ever again?

10. lumpyf - Aug 28, 2012 at 12:31 PM

I don’t see any overwrought phrasing in the article that Harper wrote. The constant criticism of other baseball writers by Calcaterra is getting old.

• mybrunoblog - Aug 28, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Calcaterra and other bloggers seem to be in a pissing match with print and electronic media members. Neither group really likes or respects one another. The print guys think the bloggers don’t know wtf they are talking about because guys like Calcaterra sit and write about baseball 12 hours a day and never leave their basement.
      On the other hand the bloggers think the media guys are condescending and full of hot air.
      You be the judge.

• paperlions - Aug 28, 2012 at 1:35 PM

The “he’s not as awesome as Rivera or Jeter” stuff is weak, and it is sanctimonious.

11. savocabol1 - Aug 28, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Love the sense of entitlement the media has. You guys are lucky they even allow you in the locker room.

12. keithbangedyermom - Aug 28, 2012 at 12:39 PM

It made me laugh when the Yankees fans boo’ed Soriano. As if he’s had a bad season.

13. yankeesgameday - Aug 28, 2012 at 12:48 PM

These players should print up cards with stock answers to the sane unimaginative questions these lame clubhouse writers ask. Just hand them out like talking points and that will serve as their statement for any given situation. The same crap questions should be met with the same crap answer.

14. skids003 - Aug 28, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Just tell the media to do what they always do anyway, just make up something, pu quotes around it, and call it reporting.

15. florida727 - Aug 28, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Just want to make sure I got this right…

Soriano is being slammed for blowing off the media by… THE MEDIA.

Just a little self-serving?

16. severinsmith - Aug 28, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Yeah! He s@cks!! I knew the Yankees s@ck! Yeah!! Slam this guy – what a jerk!

Hey, as a Red Sox fan, ya gotta’ cling to any little thing these days…

Yeah – won’t talk to the media, what a jerk!! Yeah!!!

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4502)
  2. M. Kemp (3619)
  3. M. Cabrera (2862)
  4. M. Morse (2547)
  5. J. Kang (2457)
  1. J. Upton (2422)
  2. A. Rios (2157)
  3. C. Headley (2146)
  4. W. Middlebrooks (1960)
  5. J. Peavy (1827)