Aug 28, 2012, 6:27 PM EDT
Neither do they, apparently.
A couple of weeks after locking up Andre Ethier, the Los Angeles Dodgers gave Cuban defector Yasiel Puig a seven-year, $42 million contract in June. Now, as a result of the weekend’s megadeal with the Red Sox, it’s hard to see where he’s ever going to fit in.
The Dodgers’ outfield is completely set for five years beyond this one, and moving Ethier to first base during the back half of his deal is also off the table. Of course, the Dodgers are plenty rich, and they could well pay someone to take Crawford or Ethier come 2014 or ’15. Puig, though, looks like a very expensive excess piece. And with the huge contract, he’s not going to have any trade value at all until he proves he can play in the majors.
Puig, for what it’s worth, has impressed in limited action this season. The 21-year-old went 12-for-30 with four homers in nine games in his stint in the Rookie Arizona League. Since moving up to high-A ball earlier this month, he’s hit .375/.468/.425 with no homers and six steals in 40 at-bats.
- Jonathan Lucroy headed to disabled list with broken toe 3
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 19
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 40
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 14
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 14
- National League GM says Phillies’ asking price for Cole Hamels hasn’t dropped “one bit” 16
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (128)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (105)