Aug 28, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
This was all part of a plan in which they basically called everyone asking if they wanted to unload their albatross contracts. Because apparently now, trading for highly inefficient contracts is the new inefficiency:
But it also is what led to a phone conversation with the Yankees about Sabathia (four years at $99 million left after this season) and Teixeira (four years, $90 million left after this season). The Yanks told Dodgers executives they had no interest in moving either.
The Yankees would be insane to let Sabathia go, but if you’re Brian Cashman, man, don’t you put Teixeira on waivers, let the Dodgers claim him and then just let him go? I mean, he’s probably got a couple of rebound seasons left in him, but I’d be shocked if he had even one season worth anything close to the $22.5 million he’s owed for each of the next four years, let alone four of them.
As for the Dodgers, I guess you can’t get anything you want if you don’t ask for it. Why contracts like the ones they’re taking on and asking about are something they want, however, are another question.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 30
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 18
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 44
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing 99
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Cardinals “looking for offense” … not Jake Peavy 33
- 2014 Home Run Derby participants … 28
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (126)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)