Aug 28, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
This was all part of a plan in which they basically called everyone asking if they wanted to unload their albatross contracts. Because apparently now, trading for highly inefficient contracts is the new inefficiency:
But it also is what led to a phone conversation with the Yankees about Sabathia (four years at $99 million left after this season) and Teixeira (four years, $90 million left after this season). The Yanks told Dodgers executives they had no interest in moving either.
The Yankees would be insane to let Sabathia go, but if you’re Brian Cashman, man, don’t you put Teixeira on waivers, let the Dodgers claim him and then just let him go? I mean, he’s probably got a couple of rebound seasons left in him, but I’d be shocked if he had even one season worth anything close to the $22.5 million he’s owed for each of the next four years, let alone four of them.
As for the Dodgers, I guess you can’t get anything you want if you don’t ask for it. Why contracts like the ones they’re taking on and asking about are something they want, however, are another question.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 23
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 78
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)