Aug 28, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
This was all part of a plan in which they basically called everyone asking if they wanted to unload their albatross contracts. Because apparently now, trading for highly inefficient contracts is the new inefficiency:
But it also is what led to a phone conversation with the Yankees about Sabathia (four years at $99 million left after this season) and Teixeira (four years, $90 million left after this season). The Yanks told Dodgers executives they had no interest in moving either.
The Yankees would be insane to let Sabathia go, but if you’re Brian Cashman, man, don’t you put Teixeira on waivers, let the Dodgers claim him and then just let him go? I mean, he’s probably got a couple of rebound seasons left in him, but I’d be shocked if he had even one season worth anything close to the $22.5 million he’s owed for each of the next four years, let alone four of them.
As for the Dodgers, I guess you can’t get anything you want if you don’t ask for it. Why contracts like the ones they’re taking on and asking about are something they want, however, are another question.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 49
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 15
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)