Aug 28, 2012, 8:22 AM EDT
Dejan Kovacevic reports (since confirmed) that the Pittsburgh Pirates have released starter Erik Bedard. We weren’t expecting that. Really, I never expect Bedard’s tenure anywhere to end without some hellacious injury of some sort.
Bedard has struggled mightily lately, giving up 16 runs in his last three outings. They were teams with good offenses — Milwaukee, St. Louis and the recently quite productive San Diego Padres — but that’s an awful lot of crooked numbers. For the year he’s 7-14 with a 5.01 ERA.
Kovacevic believes it’s possible that the Pirates want to see more of Kevin Correia in the rotation. It’s also possible that everyone in Pittsburgh is kinda freaking out as their nightmare August draws to a close.
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 2
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 122
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 4
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 30
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 35
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (122)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)