Aug 28, 2012, 8:22 AM EDT
Dejan Kovacevic reports (since confirmed) that the Pittsburgh Pirates have released starter Erik Bedard. We weren’t expecting that. Really, I never expect Bedard’s tenure anywhere to end without some hellacious injury of some sort.
Bedard has struggled mightily lately, giving up 16 runs in his last three outings. They were teams with good offenses — Milwaukee, St. Louis and the recently quite productive San Diego Padres — but that’s an awful lot of crooked numbers. For the year he’s 7-14 with a 5.01 ERA.
Kovacevic believes it’s possible that the Pirates want to see more of Kevin Correia in the rotation. It’s also possible that everyone in Pittsburgh is kinda freaking out as their nightmare August draws to a close.
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (124)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (116)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (82)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect