Aug 28, 2012, 8:22 AM EDT
Dejan Kovacevic reports (since confirmed) that the Pittsburgh Pirates have released starter Erik Bedard. We weren’t expecting that. Really, I never expect Bedard’s tenure anywhere to end without some hellacious injury of some sort.
Bedard has struggled mightily lately, giving up 16 runs in his last three outings. They were teams with good offenses — Milwaukee, St. Louis and the recently quite productive San Diego Padres — but that’s an awful lot of crooked numbers. For the year he’s 7-14 with a 5.01 ERA.
Kovacevic believes it’s possible that the Pirates want to see more of Kevin Correia in the rotation. It’s also possible that everyone in Pittsburgh is kinda freaking out as their nightmare August draws to a close.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)