Aug 28, 2012, 8:22 AM EDT
Dejan Kovacevic reports (since confirmed) that the Pittsburgh Pirates have released starter Erik Bedard. We weren’t expecting that. Really, I never expect Bedard’s tenure anywhere to end without some hellacious injury of some sort.
Bedard has struggled mightily lately, giving up 16 runs in his last three outings. They were teams with good offenses — Milwaukee, St. Louis and the recently quite productive San Diego Padres — but that’s an awful lot of crooked numbers. For the year he’s 7-14 with a 5.01 ERA.
Kovacevic believes it’s possible that the Pirates want to see more of Kevin Correia in the rotation. It’s also possible that everyone in Pittsburgh is kinda freaking out as their nightmare August draws to a close.
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 23
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 10
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 32
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 62
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 27
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)