Aug 28, 2012, 9:13 AM EDT
I really don’t give a flying whatever who shows up at who’s funeral. But in a world where some people think it’s cool to rake players over the coals for not going to Johnny Pesky’s funeral, this little aside from Steve Buckley is kinda delicious:
I’m not part of the pious, hand-wringing mob that’s demanding to know why more Sox players didn’t make it up to Swampscott last Monday. Am I disappointed more players didn’t show up? Of course. But I’m not outraged, and for two reasons: 1) I don’t think it’s part of my job to legislate other people’s mourning rituals, and 2) it’s not like Johnny’s funeral was overflowing with media types. Considering that Johnny was one of the most gracious, accommodating individuals in Boston sports history, it would have been nice if more folks from the pressbox had made the trip.
Now, let us allow Mr. Pesky to rest in peace and note that the rest of that column — suggesting that re-signing David Ortiz might not be a good move for Boston — is sort of laughable. He was the only dude who produced better than expected results for the Sox this year and, in a world where (a) the team lacks big boppers for 2013; and (b) the Sox have $50 million + freed up compared to 2012, his signing in Boston has to be a foregone conclusion, yes?
- Jonathan Lucroy headed to disabled list with broken toe 5
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 37
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 40
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 14
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 14
- National League GM says Phillies’ asking price for Cole Hamels hasn’t dropped “one bit” 16
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (129)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (105)