Aug 28, 2012, 9:13 AM EDT
I really don’t give a flying whatever who shows up at who’s funeral. But in a world where some people think it’s cool to rake players over the coals for not going to Johnny Pesky’s funeral, this little aside from Steve Buckley is kinda delicious:
I’m not part of the pious, hand-wringing mob that’s demanding to know why more Sox players didn’t make it up to Swampscott last Monday. Am I disappointed more players didn’t show up? Of course. But I’m not outraged, and for two reasons: 1) I don’t think it’s part of my job to legislate other people’s mourning rituals, and 2) it’s not like Johnny’s funeral was overflowing with media types. Considering that Johnny was one of the most gracious, accommodating individuals in Boston sports history, it would have been nice if more folks from the pressbox had made the trip.
Now, let us allow Mr. Pesky to rest in peace and note that the rest of that column — suggesting that re-signing David Ortiz might not be a good move for Boston — is sort of laughable. He was the only dude who produced better than expected results for the Sox this year and, in a world where (a) the team lacks big boppers for 2013; and (b) the Sox have $50 million + freed up compared to 2012, his signing in Boston has to be a foregone conclusion, yes?
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 7
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 214
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (214)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)