Aug 28, 2012, 9:13 AM EST
I really don’t give a flying whatever who shows up at who’s funeral. But in a world where some people think it’s cool to rake players over the coals for not going to Johnny Pesky’s funeral, this little aside from Steve Buckley is kinda delicious:
I’m not part of the pious, hand-wringing mob that’s demanding to know why more Sox players didn’t make it up to Swampscott last Monday. Am I disappointed more players didn’t show up? Of course. But I’m not outraged, and for two reasons: 1) I don’t think it’s part of my job to legislate other people’s mourning rituals, and 2) it’s not like Johnny’s funeral was overflowing with media types. Considering that Johnny was one of the most gracious, accommodating individuals in Boston sports history, it would have been nice if more folks from the pressbox had made the trip.
Now, let us allow Mr. Pesky to rest in peace and note that the rest of that column — suggesting that re-signing David Ortiz might not be a good move for Boston — is sort of laughable. He was the only dude who produced better than expected results for the Sox this year and, in a world where (a) the team lacks big boppers for 2013; and (b) the Sox have $50 million + freed up compared to 2012, his signing in Boston has to be a foregone conclusion, yes?
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 22
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 44
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 21
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 56
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 106
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (111)