There weren’t a lot of media members at Johnny Pesky’s funeral either

Aug 28, 2012, 9:13 AM EDT

Tampa Bay Rays v Boston Red Sox Getty Images

I really don’t give a flying whatever who shows up at who’s funeral. But in a world where some people think it’s cool to rake players over the coals for not going to Johnny Pesky’s funeral, this little aside from Steve Buckley is kinda delicious:

I’m not part of the pious, hand-wringing mob that’s demanding to know why more Sox players didn’t make it up to Swampscott last Monday. Am I disappointed more players didn’t show up? Of course. But I’m not outraged, and for two reasons: 1) I don’t think it’s part of my job to legislate other people’s mourning rituals, and 2) it’s not like Johnny’s funeral was overflowing with media types. Considering that Johnny was one of the most gracious, accommodating individuals in Boston sports history, it would have been nice if more folks from the pressbox had made the trip.

Now, let us allow Mr. Pesky to rest in peace and note that the rest of that column — suggesting that re-signing David Ortiz might not be  a good move for Boston — is sort of laughable. He was the only dude who produced better than expected results for the Sox this year and, in a world where (a) the team lacks big boppers for 2013; and (b) the Sox have $50 million + freed up compared to 2012, his signing in Boston has to be a foregone conclusion, yes?

1. manchestermiracle - Aug 28, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Few players, less media…How many fans showed up? Not a whole lot of team spirit there in Boston, eh? Way to thumb your noses at a classy guy.

• Old Gator - Aug 28, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Look at the bright side: the Westboro Baptist Church didn’t show up either.

• Lukehart80 - Aug 28, 2012 at 9:57 AM

If I were a Red Sox fan, the biggest Red Sox fan in the world even, I still wouldn’t feel it was my place to show up at the man’s funeral.

• brokea$$lovesmesomeme - Aug 28, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Amen. The man was dead he could have cared less who showed up.

• hockeyflow33 - Aug 28, 2012 at 1:49 PM

I don’t really think a funeral is an appropriate place for fans to be

2. hittfamily - Aug 28, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Some old guy who used to work at a company I am currently employed at died. Like the Sox players, I didn’t attend his funeral either.

3. tfbuckfutter - Aug 28, 2012 at 9:43 AM

If the Sox had traded their bad contracts so, Johnny Pesky would still be alive.

That’s my theory anyway. Theo killed Pesky.

• sabatimus - Aug 28, 2012 at 11:20 AM

I’d wager what killed Pesky more was probably not being able to sit in the dugout anymore, in uniform, with the team during games. He was a non-coach, non-essential personnel, and having him there was against MLB rules. He left the dugout, and his health declined dramatically. Take away what you love, and see what happens.

4. dowhatifeellike - Aug 28, 2012 at 9:56 AM

I don’t mean to be crass, but why should anyone outside of Boston care about Johnny Pesky?

• 18thstreet - Aug 28, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Because he served in World War II.

• dowhatifeellike - Aug 28, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Then I am grateful for his service, but that’s still not a reason for complete strangers to go to his funeral.

• hockeyflow33 - Aug 28, 2012 at 1:50 PM

They weren’t complete strangers, he was around the team all the time before this year.

• sabatimus - Aug 28, 2012 at 11:24 AM

10 seasons, interrupted by 3 years of WWII, where he went .307/.394. That, and his longevity–there are so few WWII vets left.

• stlouis1baseball - Aug 28, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Complete strangers DO got to funerals of Veterans. They do so on a regular basis in fact.

• Jeremy Fox - Aug 28, 2012 at 2:37 PM

But if you don’t choose to attend the funeral of some famous and praiseworthy person who you didn’t know and with whom you had only a tangential connection at best, are you somehow a bad person?

Mourning is a pretty personal thing, I don’t think it’s anyone’s place to say what funerals anyone else should or shouldn’t attend. My dad’s a Vietnam veteran, a pillar of the community, and a big baseball fan. And take it from me, he wouldn’t want any complete strangers attending his funeral, no matter how well-meaning those strangers were and how highly they thought of him.

5. garylanglais - Aug 28, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Paying players for past performances is what got the Red Sox into their current mess. I don’t think there’s a foregone conclusion for Ortiz going either way. The only definite part is the Red Sox offering arbitration. After that, all bets are off. The Red Sox may be willing to come to Ortiz with a strong 3-year offer or they may include Ortiz in the “out with the old” sweep of the roster.

6. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Aug 28, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Maybe the Pesky family didn’t invite the whole freakin dysfunctional Boston team and media because they did not want their final farewell to turn into a press circus. A shame that such a reasonable aspiration seems doomed to failure.

7. chitownjeff - Aug 28, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Did we count the number of cubs who showed up at Santo’s funeral? This this.. is why the rest of baseball detest the Boston Red Sox.. their media.. their fans.. just it all.. a big who gives a rat ass.. RIP Mr Pesky..

Theirs a thought. why not make it about Johnny Pesky?

• stlouis1baseball - Aug 28, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Well stated Jeff. Now…I just can’t wait for the next Boston Red Sox article.
      My popcorn is already buttered AND salted.

8. rhowe360 - Aug 28, 2012 at 12:03 PM

I believe Mr. Pesky received so much love, respect and admiration from the fans and players while he was here on this earth, that even he didn’t mind who did or didn’t show up for his funeral. I believe it’s what we do here that counts. Mr. Pesky did so much and more.

Thank you Johnny, Rest in peace.

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (3990)