Two men who deserve each other: Josh Beckett meets T.J. Simers

Aug 28, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT

Los Angeles Dodgers v Colorado Rockies Getty Images

You figure it was only a matter of time before a guy the media loves to hate — Josh Beckett — met the biggest hater in L.A. in T.J. Simers. And they did last night after Beckett’s rough outing against the Rockies. Rob Bradford of WEEI has a transcript of their back and forth in the clubhouse after the game.

All in all I think Beckett handled himself well. Simers was obviously trying to get a rise out of him and it doesn’t seem like he was able to.  The way you do poorly with Simers is to take his bait or to change your answer when he pulls his little word-parsing “but you’re not answering my question, I asked …” schtick. Beckett didn’t do that.

Now it’s possible that Beckett didn’t take that bait because really doesn’t give a crap and never felt like his pride was on the line. Right or wrong, that was one of the biggest criticisms lodged at him in Boston.

Maybe that trait makes him Simers-proof.  Maybe they’ll make beautiful music together.

1. itsacurse - Aug 28, 2012 at 11:44 AM

This is excruciating to read. I don’t care about the Dodgers at all and I want to punch TJ Simers in the head. Good for Beckett, but I wouldn’t have thought less of him throwing that jerk through a wall.

• shawndc04 - Aug 28, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Totally agree. That’s one lousy “reporter.” Beckett handled him well, but he needs a number other than 61. With a traditional number he’ll look more like a pitcher.

• heelbostonfan - Aug 28, 2012 at 12:00 PM

I think he’ll look more like a pitcher if he loses his beer gut.

• pepper2011 - Aug 28, 2012 at 12:17 PM

No he won’t. Get used to it. Dude sucks. This is only the beginning. Wait until Kershaw turns into a bum because he adopts the Beckett off season work out – a fellow Texan by the way. I feel bad for LA fans. They are excited. This guy will destroy your clubhouse. Crawford could be good, but I am pretty sure you could get pretty comparable numbers from Brett Gardiner or Ben Revere for a lot less than 20m a year; probably get more than 80 games a year. He at least seems to care. As the 5 tool players reach their mid 30′s they become 2.5 tool players. Ichiro would have been a better fit. He is at least playing. The Sox were willing to give up one of the best (although frustrating) hitters in the last decade to rid themselves of Beckett. This should tell you something. I don’t think you can find one uphappy Redsox fan and they just gave up this year and probably next. Just wait until he faces a team that is not the worst in baseball.

• gerryb323 - Aug 28, 2012 at 12:25 PM

He turned that 19 upside-down. There has to be some symbolism/superstition here, right?

• thereisaparty - Aug 28, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Beckett is going to destroy Kershaw’s talent because they are both from the same state? Genius!

Remember when Beckett was being labeled a clubhouse cancer in 2003 and 2007?

And even though it is clear that you care for neither facts nor logic, Beckett pitched against the Rockies in Coors. Don’t think that counts as facing the worst offense in baseball.

• pepper2011 - Aug 28, 2012 at 2:18 PM

@thereisaparty – I didn’t say he would ruin Kershaw because they were both from Texas, but just something to keep an eye on. See Bard and Buccholz. Buccholz pitched better of late but his ERA is still close to 4.5. Beckett is awful. I love how you ignored everything else but a “by the way” comment. What about the fact we let Agon go just to get rid of this idiot. His attitude and demeanor are very real and they will have an effect on this team in a very negative way. Like I said the redsox traded away one of the best hitters in the last decade and a good, but often injured player in Crawford just to get rid of this guy. he passed through waivers and NO other team claimed him, None. zero. we would have given him away to any other team. Free. just claim him. Nope, no takers- the Sox had to include Agon. If he is making 17m a year what do you think Kershaw will want in (less than) two years? He has one pitch. A low 90′s straight fastball. Throws his Curve about 4 times a game cause he gets blisters. can’t touch mid 90′s anymore. And NO, I don’t remember him being labeled as a clubhouse cancer in 2003 & 2007. 2003 He was in FLA. in 2007 He pitched like a #2 overall pick. He cared. He was still young and had Varitek, Schilling, Wakefield and Lowell to keep him in his place. I am telling you, he will not have a good effect on the Dodgers. Not at all. You’ll see.

• Old Gator - Aug 28, 2012 at 12:10 PM

I’m spoiled by that embedded video of Buzz Aldrin slugging that lunar conspiracy schmuck in the mouth over on the Neil Armstrong thread yesterday. I guess Buzz could get away with it, but since it’s only Beckett’s wife who’s the rocket scientist, I guess he can’t.

2. manute - Aug 28, 2012 at 12:04 PM

The “T” is for troll.

Not sure, but the “J” is probably for dickhead or something like that.

• pisano - Aug 28, 2012 at 12:12 PM

The “J” stands for jerk-off.

• papalurchdxb - Aug 28, 2012 at 12:21 PM

I’m going with “Troll-Junkie Simers”

I can’t fathom how this guy has a job if his angle, trying to report on the individuals/organisation upon which his professional existence is based, is try to get a rise out of the interviewee and put that person down?

If he want’s a job writing cheap-shots and low level stuff, perhaps he ought to go to the Onion or something – effective or otherwise, people ought to be shown respect if you expect to receive any assistance in reaching your objectives.

• brewcrewfan54 - Aug 28, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Cheap shot at The Onion. They’re trying to be funny. Simers is just being his jerk self.

• papalurchdxb - Aug 28, 2012 at 1:13 PM

fair point brew, meant to come across as difference between ‘serious’ sports coverage and blatant mickey-taking out of proper journalism – the guys at the Onion are actually good at what they do, unlike Troll Junkie

• brewcrewfan54 - Aug 28, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Ahhh I see. Agreed.

3. vallewho - Aug 28, 2012 at 12:20 PM

I really dislike Josh Beckett…I mean I really-really dislike him. But he plays baseball for a living. He’s in the game. This reporter, on the other hand, makes a living “writing” about what other people do in the game. The highlight of his day would have been to get a rise out of Beckett and have him say/do something “stupid”. Guys like this should not have access. Pretty simple.

4. frenchysplatediscipline - Aug 28, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Wow. Just listened to this interview.

I am not for coddling and protecting players AT ALL. And I think Beckett is a grade A prick.

However, if I am in the Dodgers front office (or any other team for that matter) this guy gets his press credentials and locker room access pulled. And I don’t care about the whole “players need to be accountable” backlash – this guy is a troll, plain and simple.

It’s like listening to Beckett being questioned by Geraldo Rivera. A hard line of questioning is one thing, but being a downright prick to illicit a response to get a good story isn’t true journalism.

Then again, in this country nowadays, maybe it is…

5. bloodysock - Aug 28, 2012 at 12:27 PM

An article about Beckett’s back and forth with a beat writer and the asshole is the writer!

6. frenchysplatediscipline - Aug 28, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Seriously?

“Shouldn’t you pick up a chair and throw it or something?”

“I haven’t figured out whether we like you or not yet”

When did the L.A. Times become Hard Copy? How can this be allowed???

• skids003 - Aug 28, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Your post two up was right. It’s the new journalism in America.

7. brokea$$lovesmesomeme - Aug 28, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Beckett went to the Derek Jeter school of answering stupid fucking like “how did you feel after you gave up the game winning home run to lose the world series?” with answers like “I made the pitch I wanted to and he hit the ball.” he such an ass jack but I love the guy.

8. futbolhistorian - Aug 28, 2012 at 12:38 PM

I can’t stand Beckett. But this “journalist’ is such a tool, I found myself rooting for Beckett in this whole exchange. Beckett handled it well I thought.

9. randygnyc - Aug 28, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Wow, Simer was BRUTAL. I’m sure Beckett, who actually handled it pretty well, is in hurry to speak with him again. Im sure beckett would rather go on the DL soon than face that firing squad again.

10. randygnyc - Aug 28, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Shawn- Beckett’s first number with the Marlins was 61. He’s attempting to go back in time and recapture his youth.

11. tmohr - Aug 28, 2012 at 12:43 PM

I for one find it pretty pathetic that a Boston media type is still following Beckett after he’s been traded.

12. skids003 - Aug 28, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Craig, I disagree with your title. No one deserves what Beckett got.

13. bigleagues - Aug 28, 2012 at 12:59 PM

One observation . . . it’s waaaaay more fun to listen to Beckett’s post-game answers when he’s another team’s problem.

Kudos to Simers for getting right to the brass (crass?) tacks.

14. Francisco (FC) - Aug 28, 2012 at 1:14 PM

I think T.J is wearing that cap to hide the bump Craig left on his forehead from the rocket propelled baseball a few months back.

15. mkd - Aug 28, 2012 at 1:19 PM

“No, it’s not. I didn’t draw it up that way. It just happened. I had it going differently in my head.”

Did you? How did you have it happen?

“A weak ground ball would have been nice.”

+1 Beckett

16. rooney24 - Aug 28, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Simers does come off as an idiot in that exchange. Beckett seemed to handle it as well as he could have. He was one out from a “quality start”. He at least gave his team a chance to win. It isn’t his fault if his team didn’t score runs for him.

17. kevinbnyc - Aug 28, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Simers basically asked Beckett to throw a chair at him.

Beckett should have listened.

18. jaydoubleyou22 - Aug 28, 2012 at 5:56 PM

For those of you who haven’t heard of TJ Simers, trust me, this was soft toss by his standards. He goes after everyone like that (or worse).

Theres a laundry list of guys he’s gone after over the years, but the things he used to say to Juan Pierre were despicable. Sure, the guy wasn’t living up to his contract, but it wasn’t his effort that Simers questioned, it was essentially his manhood. Not cool. Never liked the guy after that, even when we had a common enemy in Frank McCourt.

Not to mention, until recently, the same Juan Pierre would have been an upgrade in the black hole that has been LF in the post-Manny era… But that is beside the point. The point is that TJ Simers is a d-bag.

19. muir6 - Aug 29, 2012 at 4:36 AM

Wow that was nuts. Dude got to be given credit for asking the questions face to face, not like a certain mental midget on that 4letter channel. He is tryin to get Becket to be honest it’s obvious becketts is shot he is outta shape throws a flat ball. As a yank fan I miss him already

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet