Aug 28, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT
You figure it was only a matter of time before a guy the media loves to hate — Josh Beckett — met the biggest hater in L.A. in T.J. Simers. And they did last night after Beckett’s rough outing against the Rockies. Rob Bradford of WEEI has a transcript of their back and forth in the clubhouse after the game.
All in all I think Beckett handled himself well. Simers was obviously trying to get a rise out of him and it doesn’t seem like he was able to. The way you do poorly with Simers is to take his bait or to change your answer when he pulls his little word-parsing “but you’re not answering my question, I asked …” schtick. Beckett didn’t do that.
Now it’s possible that Beckett didn’t take that bait because really doesn’t give a crap and never felt like his pride was on the line. Right or wrong, that was one of the biggest criticisms lodged at him in Boston.
Maybe that trait makes him Simers-proof. Maybe they’ll make beautiful music together.
- Cubs to acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 17
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)