Aug 29, 2012, 11:55 PM EST
It was the first two-homer game for the 19-year-old Harper. He has 14 homers and 40 RBI in 412 at-bats this season.
Harper was ejected from the game after grounding into a double play in the ninth. He slammed his helmet down on his way past first base, and umpire C.B. Bucknor threw him out.
“Bryce couldn’t control his emotions again,” manager Davey Johnson said. “I had a little chat with him. He’ll get over it. He’s just a hundred-percenter. He expects great things out of himself, breaks bats, throws his helmet. He’s just got to stop it. We can’t afford to be losing him in a ballgame. He’ll learn. He’s young.”
Harper has struggled through July and August, and he entered tonight’s game with a .195 average in 159 at-bats since the All-Star break before breaking through against fellow youngster Jacob Turner. The 21-year-old Turner, making his second major league start after coming over from the Tigers before the trade deadline, allowed five runs in five innings to take a loss.
Even though Harper hasn’t been hitting and he’s been guilty of occasionally misjudging balls in center field, the Nationals have continued to play him regularly and hit him high in the lineup. He made it pay off tonight, but with the way his OBP has tumbled, it’d probably be better if he were batting seventh instead of second.
- UPDATE: Mariners planning to offer nine years, $225 million to Robinson Cano 40
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (140)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (98)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (86)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (80)