Aug 29, 2012, 11:55 PM EDT
It was the first two-homer game for the 19-year-old Harper. He has 14 homers and 40 RBI in 412 at-bats this season.
Harper was ejected from the game after grounding into a double play in the ninth. He slammed his helmet down on his way past first base, and umpire C.B. Bucknor threw him out.
“Bryce couldn’t control his emotions again,” manager Davey Johnson said. “I had a little chat with him. He’ll get over it. He’s just a hundred-percenter. He expects great things out of himself, breaks bats, throws his helmet. He’s just got to stop it. We can’t afford to be losing him in a ballgame. He’ll learn. He’s young.”
Harper has struggled through July and August, and he entered tonight’s game with a .195 average in 159 at-bats since the All-Star break before breaking through against fellow youngster Jacob Turner. The 21-year-old Turner, making his second major league start after coming over from the Tigers before the trade deadline, allowed five runs in five innings to take a loss.
Even though Harper hasn’t been hitting and he’s been guilty of occasionally misjudging balls in center field, the Nationals have continued to play him regularly and hit him high in the lineup. He made it pay off tonight, but with the way his OBP has tumbled, it’d probably be better if he were batting seventh instead of second.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 41
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 34
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 87
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 17
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)