Aug 29, 2012, 11:35 PM EDT
Pedro Alvarez followed up Tuesday’s two-homer game with another home run and a double as the Pirates topped the Cardinals 5-0 on Wednesday.
Alvarez ended the three-game series 8-for-13 with seven RBI. It’s just his latest outburst against the Cardinals. For the season, he’s hitting .397 with seven homers, 13 runs scored and 23 RBI in 58 at-bats against the Cardinals. He’s at .225 with 19 homers, 42 runs scored and 47 RBI in 447 at-bats against everyone else.
To put that in perspective, Alvarez averages one homer every eight at-bats and one RBI every 2.5 at-bats versus the Cards. He averages one homer every 24 at-bats and one RBI every 9.5 at-bats versus the rest of baseball.
Unfortunately for Alvarez, tonight’s game was the Pirates’ last against against the Cardinals this year. They won the season series 8-7, but they’re still one game back of St. Louis for second place in the NL Central.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)