Aug 29, 2012, 11:35 PM EDT
Pedro Alvarez followed up Tuesday’s two-homer game with another home run and a double as the Pirates topped the Cardinals 5-0 on Wednesday.
Alvarez ended the three-game series 8-for-13 with seven RBI. It’s just his latest outburst against the Cardinals. For the season, he’s hitting .397 with seven homers, 13 runs scored and 23 RBI in 58 at-bats against the Cardinals. He’s at .225 with 19 homers, 42 runs scored and 47 RBI in 447 at-bats against everyone else.
To put that in perspective, Alvarez averages one homer every eight at-bats and one RBI every 2.5 at-bats versus the Cards. He averages one homer every 24 at-bats and one RBI every 9.5 at-bats versus the rest of baseball.
Unfortunately for Alvarez, tonight’s game was the Pirates’ last against against the Cardinals this year. They won the season series 8-7, but they’re still one game back of St. Louis for second place in the NL Central.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 39
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 53
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 50
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 44
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 64
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)