Aug 29, 2012, 11:35 PM EDT
Pedro Alvarez followed up Tuesday’s two-homer game with another home run and a double as the Pirates topped the Cardinals 5-0 on Wednesday.
Alvarez ended the three-game series 8-for-13 with seven RBI. It’s just his latest outburst against the Cardinals. For the season, he’s hitting .397 with seven homers, 13 runs scored and 23 RBI in 58 at-bats against the Cardinals. He’s at .225 with 19 homers, 42 runs scored and 47 RBI in 447 at-bats against everyone else.
To put that in perspective, Alvarez averages one homer every eight at-bats and one RBI every 2.5 at-bats versus the Cards. He averages one homer every 24 at-bats and one RBI every 9.5 at-bats versus the rest of baseball.
Unfortunately for Alvarez, tonight’s game was the Pirates’ last against against the Cardinals this year. They won the season series 8-7, but they’re still one game back of St. Louis for second place in the NL Central.
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 71
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 48
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 38
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 90
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 19
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)