Aug 29, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
Calcaterra is traveling today, but once he sees this he’s going to have to break the news to his daughter that her favorite player, Shelley Duncan, has been designated for assignment by the Indians.
Cleveland made the move to clear roster space for right-hander Jeanmar Gomez, who was recalled from Triple-A.
Duncan’s power has remained pretty consistent, as he’s hit 11 homers in each of the past three seasons while totaling between 247 and 264 plate appearances per year. However, after batting .260 with an .808 OPS last season he’s hit just .203 with a .676 OPS this year, and that just doesn’t cut it for a 32-year-old platoon left fielder.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 11
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 16
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)