Aug 29, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
Calcaterra is traveling today, but once he sees this he’s going to have to break the news to his daughter that her favorite player, Shelley Duncan, has been designated for assignment by the Indians.
Cleveland made the move to clear roster space for right-hander Jeanmar Gomez, who was recalled from Triple-A.
Duncan’s power has remained pretty consistent, as he’s hit 11 homers in each of the past three seasons while totaling between 247 and 264 plate appearances per year. However, after batting .260 with an .808 OPS last season he’s hit just .203 with a .676 OPS this year, and that just doesn’t cut it for a 32-year-old platoon left fielder.
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 5
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 42
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)