Aug 29, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
Calcaterra is traveling today, but once he sees this he’s going to have to break the news to his daughter that her favorite player, Shelley Duncan, has been designated for assignment by the Indians.
Cleveland made the move to clear roster space for right-hander Jeanmar Gomez, who was recalled from Triple-A.
Duncan’s power has remained pretty consistent, as he’s hit 11 homers in each of the past three seasons while totaling between 247 and 264 plate appearances per year. However, after batting .260 with an .808 OPS last season he’s hit just .203 with a .676 OPS this year, and that just doesn’t cut it for a 32-year-old platoon left fielder.
- Rangers snap Astros’ 10-game winning streak 0
- UPDATE: Hanley Ramirez exits game with a left shoulder sprain 15
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 13
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 94
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 26
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 55
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (120)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)