Aug 29, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
Calcaterra is traveling today, but once he sees this he’s going to have to break the news to his daughter that her favorite player, Shelley Duncan, has been designated for assignment by the Indians.
Cleveland made the move to clear roster space for right-hander Jeanmar Gomez, who was recalled from Triple-A.
Duncan’s power has remained pretty consistent, as he’s hit 11 homers in each of the past three seasons while totaling between 247 and 264 plate appearances per year. However, after batting .260 with an .808 OPS last season he’s hit just .203 with a .676 OPS this year, and that just doesn’t cut it for a 32-year-old platoon left fielder.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 3
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 45
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 87
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)