Aug 29, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
Joey Votto kicked off his minor-league rehab assignment by going 0-for-1 with a walk yesterday at Single-A, saying afterward: “It was good, but I still have a ways to go.”
He’ll be back in Dayton’s lineup today and if all goes well Tom Groeschen of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports that Votto will likely come off the disabled list at some point this weekend.
Votto hasn’t played since mid-July knee surgery and needed a second operation after suffering a setback, but the Reds have a great record in his absence and rookie Todd Frazier in particular has really stepped up to provide big-time production.
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 8
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 160
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 6
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 30
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 35
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (161)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)