Joey Votto begins rehab assignment, eyes weekend return

Aug 29, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT

votto getty Getty Images

Joey Votto kicked off his minor-league rehab assignment by going 0-for-1 with a walk yesterday at Single-A, saying afterward: “It was good, but I still have a ways to go.”

He’ll be back in Dayton’s lineup today and if all goes well Tom Groeschen of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports that Votto will likely come off the disabled list at some point this weekend.

Votto hasn’t played since mid-July knee surgery and needed a second operation after suffering a setback, but the Reds have a great record in his absence and rookie Todd Frazier in particular has really stepped up to provide big-time production.

1. johnnyb1976 - Aug 29, 2012 at 10:50 AM

A fresh Votto for the stretch run into the playoffs is going to be HUGE.

• stlouis1baseball - Aug 29, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Absolutely Johnny. You guys have done a tremendous job since Joey has been gone.
      Not only have you held the fort…you have extended the lead. Impressive.

2. roadwearyaaron - Aug 29, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Todd Frazier since Votto went down: .314/.363/.538 with 8 HR, 32 RBI, & 30:12 K:BB ratio in 171 plate appearances. There’s no way to replace Joey Votto, but the Toddfather is making a hell of an effort.

• stlouis1baseball - Aug 29, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Frazier is a stud. No doubt. Why Dusty continues to ignore this is beyond me.
      Listen…I am a huge Scott Rolen fan. Him being an Indiana kid I have always followed his career.
      In fact, I have a jersey I would happily sell you!
      But Frazier needs to be your everyday 3rd baseman when Joey returns.
      All this in mind…how gay did you feel when you referred to him as the “Toddfather?”

• roadwearyaaron - Aug 29, 2012 at 12:08 PM

He’s looking more likely to be the favorite for NL ROY, he dances in the clubhouse before games, he hit a no-handed HR, he saved a choking man, and he has Sinatra as his walkup music. I think the Toddfather is a good nickname (which I stole from RedReporter).

Joking aside, I think Dusty has the opportunity to put him in a rotation between first, third, and LF to still get him plenty of playing time while letting the vets rest up a bit for the playoffs. At least, that is my hope…

• stlouis1baseball - Aug 29, 2012 at 1:07 PM

“He’s looking more likely to be the favorite for NL ROY.”
      No arguments hear Aaron. In fact, I expect him to get the well deserved award.
      I don’t see how he CAN’t get it with all he has done. Again…the dude’s a stud.
      Please know I was joking about the nickname. Although I do think it’s incredibly cheesy.
      Looks like this is your guys’ year. Good luck the rest of the way.

• roadwearyaaron - Aug 29, 2012 at 2:10 PM

I can’t deny the cheese factor but it seems somewhat fitting for him.

I hope the Reds can get it done because it seems like a special season for them so far, but I also stop worrying about the Cards until they’re eliminated from the playoffs, especially after last season. Good luck to you guys too, but I hope you lose!

3. coachbeck - Aug 29, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Championship

4. footballchic777 - Aug 29, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Frazier definitely needs to stay on the field and in the lineup! Rolen has a great bat, but Frazier is great offensively AND I think better defensively. Kid definitely should get the ROY honors! Rotating for a fresh playoffs is a great idea. They could be using Heisey to do the same thing with the field!

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. G. Springer (3882)