Mike Napoli not close to returning from disabled list

Aug 29, 2012, 12:16 PM EDT

Mike Napoli AP AP

Mike Napoli wasn’t ready to come off the disabled list when eligible earlier this week and it sounds like the Rangers catcher isn’t close to returning from a quadriceps injury.

In fact, according to T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com the Rangers “are coming to grips with the possibility that Napoli won’t be ready to come off the disabled list this week and that it could be well into September before he is back.”

That certainly makes the decision to acquire Geovany Soto from the Cubs and cut Yorvit Torrealba loose a much more important pair of moves than the swap of backup catchers that it appeared to be at the time.

Soto has been thrust into the starting job while hitting just .247 with a .674 OPS in 21 games for the Rangers, which actually represents an improvement over his numbers for the Cubs.

1. storebrandcookies - Aug 29, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Soto has been a nice addition but if he gets injured for a few games, the Rangers don’t have a viable option as a backup to Soto. I hope Napoli can get back to form by mid September and get some at-bats in so he can be ready for the playoffs.

2. stex52 - Aug 29, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Mike Napoli leads my list of “players most likely to regret testing the free agent market.” His stats for this year are not even up to career average. I have the feeling he could have cut a pretty generous deal with Texas last winter, and now his expectations will be much more middle of the pack. Everybody will still look at a catcher who can bat .700+ OPS, but his timing could have been better.

3. beefytrout - Aug 29, 2012 at 12:51 PM

To his credit, Soto has been hitting the ball much better as of late. The problem is that you can pretty much steal bases at will on the dude.

• hackerjay - Aug 29, 2012 at 1:24 PM

I think his problems with Texas in catching the runners must be an issue of getting used to the new pitching staff. He’s always been pretty good at throwing guys out, and with the Cubs this year he was right at the league average. I would expect him to get better.

4. antlerclaws - Aug 29, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Rangers could claim Joe Mauer off waivers; Napoli’s gone after this year anyway, why not lock up Mauer for the playoffs and a few years after that? It’s not like they don’t have the money.

• beefytrout - Aug 29, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Not at $23mil a year for the next 7 years. No way.

• antlerclaws - Aug 29, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Just a thought. Mauer would probably hit a lot better in Arlington that he does at Target Field. Rangers are probably going to have to acquire a catcher in the off-season unless they get Napoli on the cheap.

• beefytrout - Aug 29, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to see Mauer hitting 6th, behind Cruz. And yeah, he would mash at the Ballpark. But personally, I don’t know if I’d pay Hamilton $23 mil a year until 2018, let alone Mauer.

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (4051)