Minnesota officially awarded 2014 All-Star game

Aug 29, 2012, 5:02 PM EDT

Target Field

This isn’t exactly breaking news, since reports about Minnesota hosting the 2014 All-Star game popped up months ago, but today MLB made things official.

I suppose this means I’ll have to make a rare appearance in the Target Field press box.

Minnesota hosted the All-Star game back in 1985, at the Metrodome, and the Twins moved into Target Field in 2010. Last night the three-year-old ballpark’s announced attendance dipped below 30,000 for the first time and, having been there for the Twins-Mariners game, I can assure you there wasn’t more than 20,000 people actually in the seats.

It’s a great ballpark and will be packed for the All-Star game, which should at the very least provide a nice distraction for the state’s baseball fans in case the Twins haven’t turned things around by then.

This year’s All-Star game was in Kansas City and next year’s All-Star game will be at Citi Field in New York.

1. natslady - Aug 29, 2012 at 5:14 PM

I could have sworn I saw this post yesterday… Oh, well, here’s what I thought I said to the post I thought I saw…

Target Field is one seriously nice park. Was there last summer with family. Cousin’s hub was in White Sox gear (for a game against the Sox) and we were still treated like royalty.

2. AlohaMrHand - Aug 29, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Dodger Stadium needs an all star game

• echech88 - Aug 30, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Probably in 5 years.

1. Angels just had it in 2010

2. It is about to undergo some renovations and I imagine there is already some kind of handshake agreement they will get it once they are ready to show off the “new” Dodger stadium

3. illadelphiasphinest - Aug 29, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Wow that HR Derby is gonna stink. Citizens Bank Park need to get the All-Star Game. Could you imagine power hitters blasting balls outa there?

• Bryz - Aug 29, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Target Field is only 2 spots behind Kauffman Stadium (where this year’s Derby was held) in HR park factors and is 17th overall right now, thank you very much.

4. natstowngreg - Aug 29, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Congrats to the good folks of Minnesota.

A while back, I saw something about the Nats trying to get the 2015 game. Hope they succeed.

5. historiophiliac - Aug 29, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Oh, look, Bud Selig emerged from the crypt to announce that Minnesota still has a field or something…hmmmm…Selig sleepy….

6. echech88 - Aug 30, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Might be a good excuse to finally go check this park out

7. stlouis1baseball - Aug 30, 2012 at 12:04 PM

The Great American Smallpark in Cincinnati deserves an ASG.
    It’s a very nice ballpark.
    Could you imaging the offense in an All Star game if/when they ever have on in Cincinnati?
    Cincinnati gets my vote for 2015.

1. Y. Puig (2988)