Aug 29, 2012, 8:54 AM EDT
This is interesting. Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports:
Major League Baseball is investigating whether four-time All-Star catcher Paul Lo Duca’s relationship with steroid distributor Kirk Radomski was arranged by his former agents, three people with knowledge of the investigation told USA TODAY Sports. They spoke Tuesday on condition of anonymity due to the sensitive nature of the investigation.
And it’s not just old news simply because it involves an old player like Lo Duca. Because the agents in question — Seth and Sam Levinson — are also Melky Cabrera‘s agents. And the information about the Lo Duca-Radomski relationship has arisen in the context of MLB’s investigation into the Melky Cabrera fake website craziness.
Nightengale lays out the relationship between Lo Duca, Radomski and the Levinsons. Some of this was in the Mitchell Report — we know Lo Duca was a total genius and wrote personal checks to Radomski for his HGH — but Nightengale reports that the checking account was in both Lo Duca’s and the Levinsons’ names. That’s news. The Levinsons strongly deny any relationship to Radomski or any involvement in procuring PEDs for their clients, Lo Duca and Melky Cabrera included.
Obviously it’s too early to tell what this may mean. But it certainly puts that whole Melky website thing in a new light. Remember, the guy who created it worked for the Levinsons. He claimed to be a lone gunman, but one wonders if Major League Baseball isn’t playing Jim Garrison here and looking to see if there were any agents on the grassy knoll.
If so: bye-bye agents livelihood, as they will be drummed out of the player representation business permanently, one assumes.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 61
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 17
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)