Aug 29, 2012, 7:31 PM EDT
There were rumblings last week that the Orioles might make pitching prospect Dylan Bundy part of their September callups. But it’s not going to happen.
Here’s the info, from MLB.com’s Britt Ghiroli:
Orioles top pitching prospect Dylan Bundy will head to instructional league when his season for Double-A Bowie ends, manager Buck Showalter announced prior to Wednesday’s game. The news effectively eliminates increased speculation that the 19-year-old Bundy would be a September callup as part of Baltimore’s playoff push.
Bundy has issued eight walks in 16 2/3 innings since his promotion to the Double-A level, and the O’s are concerned that those minor control issues would only multiply in the major leagues. So rather than risk shattering the 19-year-old right-hander’s confidence, they’ll opt for a more slow and steady approach.
“I think the progression of his development has been great,” Orioles manager Buck Showalter told reporters on Wednesday evening. “Couldn’t ask for a better progression.”
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 2
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 37
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 131
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 69
- Willie Mays congratulates Alex Rodriguez for reaching 660 career home runs 33
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (363)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (131)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)