Aug 29, 2012, 9:16 PM EST
Roger Clemens told the Houston Chronicle earlier this week that he had no immediate plans to pitch again after completing 3 1/3 scoreless innings last Saturday evening for the Sugar Land Skeeters of the independent Atlantic League. But the itch has suddenly returned. Or something along those lines.
Mark Berman of FOX 26 (KRIV) in Houston received a text message from the 50-year-old right-hander on Wednesday night, stating that plans are being made for a second outing on September 7.
That’s next Friday, which would give Clemens nearly two full weeks of rest. If he fares well again perhaps the Astros — or a similarly desperate MLB team — will come calling with a minor league contract offer.
Clemens, a seven-time Cy Young Award winner, hasn’t appeared in the majors since the 2007 season.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 293
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)