Roger Clemens to make second start for the Sugar Land Skeeters on September 7

Aug 29, 2012, 9:16 PM EDT

roger clemens getty Getty Images

Roger Clemens told the Houston Chronicle earlier this week that he had no immediate plans to pitch again after completing 3 1/3 scoreless innings last Saturday evening for the Sugar Land Skeeters of the independent Atlantic League. But the itch has suddenly returned. Or something along those lines.

Mark Berman of FOX 26 (KRIV) in Houston received a text message from the 50-year-old right-hander on Wednesday night, stating that plans are being made for a second outing on September 7.

That’s next Friday, which would give Clemens nearly two full weeks of rest. If he fares well again perhaps the Astros — or a similarly desperate MLB team — will come calling with a minor league contract offer.

Clemens, a seven-time Cy Young Award winner, hasn’t appeared in the majors since the 2007 season.

1. hojo20 - Aug 29, 2012 at 9:25 PM

And i’m hoping he gets shelled.

2. beefytrout - Aug 29, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Nice job understanding the way modern media works, Rocket. You schmendrick.

3. bigjimatch - Aug 29, 2012 at 9:42 PM

Red Rocket wants to pitch this year so he can reset the hall of fame clock, hoping that the voters will lighten up regarding steroids in the next seven years.

4. dondada10 - Aug 29, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Let’s just get this bullshit MLB appearance out of the way before the 18th. After that, Astros games might have a legit impact on the playoffs.

5. cruuuzcontrol - Aug 29, 2012 at 10:49 PM

I hope this backfires on Clemens and the media ends up holding this stunt against him more than they ever would have held the ‘roids or the whole “lying to the Feds” thing against him.

• pellypell - Aug 30, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Yea that whole lying to the Feds thing. Good thing they found him guilty and put him in jail. Oh wait…

If the court of public opinion mattered, you would get locked up for….

6. canoyoulie - Aug 29, 2012 at 10:50 PM

although i abhore everything roger clemens is, and i would hate to see such a joke at 50 be a major league pitcher, i would bet he would give as good an effort or better than some scrub the astros would throw out there after the 18th.

7. tfbuckfutter - Aug 29, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Everyone is talking about how this is just a plan to get his Hall of Fame candidacy pushed back, but that is way too short sighted…..

The guy lies, cheats, flips flops, and screws people over so much it is obvious he’s a shoo-in for the Presidency in 2016.

8. stex52 - Aug 29, 2012 at 11:08 PM

I told you guys that he was going to pitch on the 7th yesterday. You need to listen to Uncle Tex more.

9. pisano - Aug 30, 2012 at 12:10 AM

I don’t think anyone really cares, it’s been long over for him.

10. jmmsr1 - Aug 30, 2012 at 12:37 AM

He should play for Boston. Sounds like a Bobby V. kind of guy.

11. dalucks - Aug 30, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Is it true that after every strikeout, the Skeeters play Little Jon over the loudspeakers and the crowd sangs “Aww Skeet Skeet Skeet?”

12. Ben - Aug 30, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Roger Clemens is no Jamie Moyer

13. dirtyharry1971 - Aug 30, 2012 at 1:20 AM

Good luck Rocket!! Hope you toss a no hitter!!

14. sawxalicious - Aug 30, 2012 at 2:01 AM

I am a huge rocket fan, have been since he came into the league in the 80′s…Though he’s proven to be kind of a douchebag as a person, I always enjoyed watching him compete. I think it would be neat to see what he has left in the tank. And yes, I think a 50 year old Clemens would be an upgrade over what the Astros are throwing on the mound every game. Theirs is a lost season, so why not give the fans a reason to go to the ballpark-whether they’re there to support him or boo him, it’ll be interesting. Baseball is supposed to be entertainment after all.

• stex52 - Aug 30, 2012 at 8:45 AM

I’m fine with him pitching at Sugarland. I might even go see him. All the Astros would do by bringing him in is prove that they are a circus sideshow for another couple of years. That’s kind of a Mendoza line for me. I want to buy into this whole rebuild thing. But once they start doing minor league stunts it’ll be a while before I am back.

15. metalhead65 - Aug 30, 2012 at 2:35 AM

If I was an astros fan I would be insulted if they sent this washed up cheater out and expected me to buy a ticket. Come on people show them you are not stupid and gullible and don’t buy a ticket for a cheap publicity stunt if they do this.

16. lucidsportsfan - Aug 30, 2012 at 9:15 AM

As a lifelong Red Sox fan I have disliked Clemens ever since he started mailing it in for Boston back in 1993. Yet somehow now I find myself rooting for him. I hope he ends up back in Houston before the season ends… http://www.lucidsportsfan.com/2012_08_26_archive.html#5072702820634926499

17. gmsingh - Aug 30, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Speaking of Skeeters, if a skeeter were to bite Roger Clemens would it grow to the size of a grapefruit?

18. gmsingh - Aug 30, 2012 at 11:12 AM

P.S. Anybody that can lie before Congress and get away with it is my hero!

19. TIF - Aug 30, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Ever since he was named in the Mitchell Report, Clemens has used lessons learned from how others have handled PED allegations to formulate a plan to eventually reach the Hall of Fame. His next start for the Skeeters is the next step in the plan.

20. floridachet - Aug 30, 2012 at 2:50 PM

The drug cheating bloviator will never make it into the HOF no matter how long he waits. Because he was found not guilty of lying to Congress does not mean he did not take steroids. He may have pitched well but he still a loser.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5457)