Aug 29, 2012, 2:16 PM EDT
150-steal guy Billy Hamilton would seem to be a nice piece to have around with expanded rosters in September, but the Reds are “probably not” going to call him up, GM Walt Jocketty said Wednesday.
The 21-year-old Hamilton has set a minor league record with 154 steals for high-A Bakersfield and Double-A Pensacola this season. He’s hit .319/.418/.431 between the two levels.
If Hamilton doesn’t get a callup, it’ll be mostly about the 40-man roster. Not only is Hamilton not on it now, but he won’t need to be added this winter, giving the Reds an extra spot to play with then. The Reds are at 40 right now, and they don’t have a whole lot of flexibility.
Which is too bad, because it’d be great to see Hamilton show off his wheels next month. The game’s fastest player, he would make an impact as a pinch-runner.
Hamilton is slated to take part in the Arizona Fall League when it kicks off in October.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 70
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 84
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 64
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)