Aug 29, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
You know the season is truly entering its final act when teams start getting mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. It seems to matter, even when we’ve known for months that they were practically eliminated already.
Anyway, Bob Timmermann keeps track of such things with his MLB Death Watch feature which he has tweeted about for a couple of years, but is also posting on The Portable Griddle (RIP old Baseball Toaster Griddle).
First up for oblivion: The Astros, who will be officially out of playoff contention with a loss to the Giants combined with either a win by either the Dodgers or a win by the Cardinals.
Godspeed, Houston Astros. Godspeed.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (159)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)