Aug 29, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
You know the season is truly entering its final act when teams start getting mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. It seems to matter, even when we’ve known for months that they were practically eliminated already.
Anyway, Bob Timmermann keeps track of such things with his MLB Death Watch feature which he has tweeted about for a couple of years, but is also posting on The Portable Griddle (RIP old Baseball Toaster Griddle).
First up for oblivion: The Astros, who will be officially out of playoff contention with a loss to the Giants combined with either a win by either the Dodgers or a win by the Cardinals.
Godspeed, Houston Astros. Godspeed.
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 58
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 17
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 32
- Meet the Matz! The Mets call up Steven Matz to make his MLB debut 11
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 23
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)