Aug 29, 2012, 10:00 AM EST
You know the season is truly entering its final act when teams start getting mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. It seems to matter, even when we’ve known for months that they were practically eliminated already.
Anyway, Bob Timmermann keeps track of such things with his MLB Death Watch feature which he has tweeted about for a couple of years, but is also posting on The Portable Griddle (RIP old Baseball Toaster Griddle).
First up for oblivion: The Astros, who will be officially out of playoff contention with a loss to the Giants combined with either a win by either the Dodgers or a win by the Cardinals.
Godspeed, Houston Astros. Godspeed.
- Cliff Pennington avoids arbitration, agrees to $3.275 million deal with D’Backs 0
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 26
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 44
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 62
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40