Aug 29, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
You know the season is truly entering its final act when teams start getting mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. It seems to matter, even when we’ve known for months that they were practically eliminated already.
Anyway, Bob Timmermann keeps track of such things with his MLB Death Watch feature which he has tweeted about for a couple of years, but is also posting on The Portable Griddle (RIP old Baseball Toaster Griddle).
First up for oblivion: The Astros, who will be officially out of playoff contention with a loss to the Giants combined with either a win by either the Dodgers or a win by the Cardinals.
Godspeed, Houston Astros. Godspeed.
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 0
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 17
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 78
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)