Aug 29, 2012, 9:37 AM EDT
It has been observed many times over the years that the results of one-run games hinge largely on luck. A bad bounce here or there. One pitch released just so. One little flare. Just one! A gorp, a groundball — a groundball with eyes — a dying quail, just one more dying quail … and a tie game can turn into a one-run win or loss.
It observed just this morning by one of our fine readers that the Orioles have been crazy-lucky in this regard this year, as they have won 13 straight one-run games. “The Orioles are so lucky that they crap leprechauns,” as it was so eloquently put.
The opposite can be said about the Tampa Bay Rays. They lost 1-0 last night. Which is nothing new, as they have lost four 1-0 games in the month of August alone. That’s the most 1-0 games a team has lost since 1969. It’s the most an AL team has lost in a month since 1955.
Now, my earlier comments notwithstanding, that’s not all about luck. Losing a 7-6 ballgame is different than losing a 1-0 ballgame in some ways, it seems. When you get shut out a lot it suggests your offense stinks. And the Rays offense kind of stinks compared to the rest of the league. Behind them in the AL are only the Royals, the Indians the Mariners and the A’s.
The Rays are a good team, of course. But this is really something.
- Who really owns a home run ball? 56
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 125
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 127
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Remembering David Letterman’s best sports moments 11
- Ryan Zimmerman is Mr. Walk-Off (and the numbers to prove it) 11
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (125)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)