Aug 29, 2012, 6:52 PM EDT
That’s my feeling anyway. Manager Dusty Baker went so far as to start Miguel Cairo at first base Wednesday, yet the Reds beat the Diamondbacks 6-2 to complete a three-game sweep in Arizona.
Cairo, who entered the game with a .168/.198/.264 line in 125 at-bats this season, went 0-for-4. It should be noted that this is hardly the first time Cairo has played first for Cincinnati this year; he’s started 14 games there and hit .200 with two walks and three extra-base hits in 50 at-bats.
But the really astonishing thing is that the last couple of times Cairo has started at first base, Todd Frazier has played third with Scott Rolen resting. So, not only is Cairo one of the game’s weakest hitters, but Baker also seems to think he’s a worse third baseman than Frazier, a guy who has never been known for his defense. In fact, Cairo has played 136 innings at first base this year and just 107 innings elsewhere (69 at third, 38 at second).
Of course, none of this has really hurt the Reds at all, considering they’re sitting pretty with the game’s best record. They could go ahead and try Chris Heisey at short if they wanted to and still finish atop the NL Central. Consider that they’ve gotten two homers in four starts from Dioner Navarro, this really does seem to be their year.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 55
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 5
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)