Aug 29, 2012, 2:50 PM EDT
UPDATE: After all that talk about how the bone chips weren’t hurting Worley’s performance the Phillies just announced that he’s headed to the disabled list and will undergo the surgery within the next 10 days. The lesson? Sometimes when something seems obvious it is, even when the people involved claim it isn’t.
Once the season ends Vance Worley will have surgery to remove bone chips from his elbow, but in the meantime the Phillies right-hander is continuing to pitch through the discomfort. And his performance continues to be awful.
Worley failed to make it out of the fifth inning against the Mets last night and has now allowed 18 runs on 39 hits and 10 walks in 24 innings over his last five starts.
Yet afterward Worley insisted that the bone chips in his elbow aren’t to blame for his struggles, telling Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com:
It hasn’t affected me. I’m just not getting pitches where I need to get them. It’s all about pitch location. That’s why I got beat tonight and pulled from the game. I don’t feel anything at all. I’m just having a tough stretch.
So according to Worley it hasn’t had an impact on his performance, yet his performance has been really bad and the issue will require offseason surgery to fix. That’s a helluva coincidence.
Manager Charlie Manuel also told Salisbury that the team hasn’t considered shutting down Worley:
He tells me he’s fine and the trainers tell me he’s fine. That’s what I have to go by. We have the best doctors, supposedly, in the world. I go on what they tell me. He gets checked regularly. What he tells me, I’ve got to believe him.
Meanwhile, since July 1 he’s started 11 games with a 5.80 ERA and .350 opponents’ batting average.
- Who really owns a home run ball? 56
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 125
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 127
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Remembering David Letterman’s best sports moments 11
- Ryan Zimmerman is Mr. Walk-Off (and the numbers to prove it) 11
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (125)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)