Yadier Molina says clean hit, he’ll be back in a day or two

Aug 29, 2012, 4:30 PM EDT

Josh Harrison, Yadier Molina Getty Images

Taking about the collision that knocking him out of Tuesday’s game, Yadier Molina called Josh Harrison‘s hit a “clean play,” according to MLB.com’s Jenifer Langosch.

“Clean play,” Molina said. “Clean play. That’s part of baseball. He did what he had to do and I did what I had to do. It sucks because you don’t want anybody to get hurt. This time it was me to get hurt. But it was a clean play.”

Molina passed another round of tests today to rule out a concussion. He still has neck soreness from the hit, but he hopes to be ready to play within the next couple of days. Tony Cruz is starting in his place tonight.

There hasn’t been any word yet from MLB on a suspension for Jake Westbrook, who plunked Harrison three innings after the collision. The league tends to police these things pretty randomly, but given that Westbrook’s throw was obviously intentional, the traditional five- or six-game ban is warranted.

1. ghostofjimlindeman - Aug 29, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Thanks for the update Dipwad!

• okwhitefalcon - Aug 29, 2012 at 6:05 PM

“but given that Westbrook’s throw was obviously intentional, the traditional five- or six-game ban is warranted”

Warranted???

Again, blogger gone wild.

The hilarity conitnues.

The Cards didn’t bitch after the game on about the collision and the Pirates didn’t bitch about HBP.

Ya see author, sometimes the game polices itself – let it go.

2. danaking - Aug 29, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Molina is a class act, one of my favorite players.

3. bigleagues - Aug 29, 2012 at 4:56 PM

There are a whole lot of people on HBT that will be disappointed that Molina gave the thumbs up to Harrison’s attempt to dislodge the ball from Molina – who was clearly obstructing the plate.

Those folks are the no contact absolutists. I’m not sure HOW they came to think that way and I’m still awaiting a non-emotionally driven reasoned argument against hard plays at the home.

• thereisaparty - Aug 29, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Ignoring the first part of your comment because it doesn’t apply to me, I will gladly state that I am opposed to this play. It is a total anomoly when compared to the rest of the game. It is a hyper-dangerous play that ignores player safety.

What is the reason for continuing to allow hard plays at the plate? Tradition for tradition’s sake? Inertia? I refuse to believe that the game of baseball in its current state is not perfect.

• thereisaparty - Aug 29, 2012 at 5:06 PM

EDIT: I refuse to believe that the game of baseball in its current state IS perfect

• bigleagues - Aug 29, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Perfect? No.

Coming down on hard plays at the plate? Totally misplaced change for the sake of change. Hyper-dangerous is a grand hyper-bole on your part. And again, it illustrates that you do not understand why or the play fits into the game as the rules are written.

And that makes sense because the people who have been arguing against it, don’t even understand the rules and how it applies to the Runner and whoever is fielding Home Plate.

• thereisaparty - Aug 29, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Compare the rates of injuries on this play to those on all other plays in baseball. Hyper-dangerous refers how to this percentage is surely substantially higher than all other instances.

And no, as I stated earlier in calling it an anamoly, I don’t understand how this play fits into the game. Plus, the way the rules are enforced is more important than how they are written.

Why is this totally misplaced? And it isn’t for the sake of change. As I addressed earlier it is because the play has no resemblance to every other play in baseball and it is degrees more dangerous than all other plays. I made my case twice now. You refused to actually address it the first time.

• GoneYickitty - Aug 29, 2012 at 5:28 PM

I’m not sure that much is added to the game with these plays versus college and below where you have to slide if it’s in the vicinity of the plate. Mind you, I would prefer the full-on blowing guys up because it’s fun to watch, but it’s really not that rare for catchers to get messed up and usually either the runner is out anyway or the catcher doesn’t catch the ball anyway and the same end result would be had with a slide. That said, I don’t think the enjoyment outweighs the costs.

And Molina continues to be a class act for the most part.

• thereisaparty - Aug 29, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Re: Gone Yicketty

Plays at the plate are inherently exciting because of the immediate implications. An entire run is either scored or saved. I don’t need (the rare) violent hit to find enjoyment in close plays at the plate.

• GoneYickitty - Aug 29, 2012 at 5:36 PM

thereisaparty,

Did you even read what I wrote? I’m not going to thumbs down all your posts even though I agree with you.

• bigleagues - Aug 29, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Maybe because it’s late, but I’m pretty sure GoneYicketty just argued for and against everything.

• thereisaparty - Aug 29, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Re: Gone Yicketty

Sorry for not making it clearer that I support your reasoning. I was going of on that topic as well, not arguing against you.

4. saints97 - Aug 29, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Look at that, the quasi-journalist can do a whole article without insulting a whole group of people. Congratulations, Matthew! Maybe your mommy will buy you some ice cream after school today as a reward.

5. maynardstool - Aug 29, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Wow this douchebag really hates the Cards. He’s gotta be a butthurt red or cub fan.
    How’s mommies basement Matthew?

• beefytrout - Aug 29, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Don’t forget Rangers fans… we hate the cards too!

• mattyflex - Aug 29, 2012 at 5:19 PM

With comments like “douchebag” and “butthurt”, his mother’s basement is most likely more accommodating than the trailer park you live in.

• stlouis1baseball - Aug 29, 2012 at 5:22 PM

So you are an authority on trailer parks Matty?

• mattyflex - Aug 29, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Poor response. The basis of your argument has absolutely no basis. It’s common knowledge that trailer parks are traditionally a low-income option. I’m no more the authority on white trash than you are.

• stlouis1baseball - Aug 29, 2012 at 5:33 PM

But you sound like an expert. You know…with the whole…
        “his mother’s basement is most likely more accommodating than the trailer park you live in.”
        Shoot Matty…his Mother’s basement could be a dingy, wet, bugs infested cesspool.
        In which case…I would venture to guess there are a huge number of trailer dwellers who keep very good house. Compared to a dingy, wet, bugs infested cesspool of course.
        Keep em’ coming Matty. I can do this all night.

• mattyflex - Aug 29, 2012 at 6:01 PM

You are the internet-embodiment of every cardinals fan I’ve ever met.

6. ghostofjimlindeman - Aug 29, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Butt Hurt might be politically incorrect, but damn it’s still funny. Kinda funny how you judge folks in trailers also.

7. kranepool - Aug 29, 2012 at 5:28 PM

As a Mets fan I’m supposed to hate Yadier Molina but I don’t I have a ton of respect for him because as the cliche goes he plays the game the right way, he blocked the plate Harrison want to score a run there was collision and Molina stood his ground and won.

Sorry those in the dainty crowd get squeamish at these plays maybe golf and tennis is more your speed

• thereisaparty - Aug 29, 2012 at 5:39 PM

These plays happen maybe once a week, max. So because I dislike a play that qualifies as less than 00.0001% of the action in baseball, I should stop watching? Color me dainty then.

8. stlouis1baseball - Aug 29, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Newsflash: Yadier Molina said it was a clean play. Where is the outrage? What about the Children?
    And to think…he took the high road AND plays for the St. Louis Cardinals. I just can’t believe it!
    I know it isn’t so. Can’t be. After all…all they do is complain. And…

9. Jonny 5 - Aug 29, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Yadi bowls over catchers too. Of course he said it was a clean play.

10. randygnyc - Aug 29, 2012 at 5:42 PM

“clean play”, from the only guy whose opinion on this matter counts.

11. maynardstool - Aug 29, 2012 at 5:59 PM

I never said it was a dirty play. Matthew has used his forum here to degrade the Cardinals and their fans.

So being a Cards fan, I take offense to that. Is the name calling I’ve done juvenile and immature? Absolutely, I won’t deny that.

But I figure if Matthew can take whatever joke of a journalism degree he has to spew venom about my favorite team then I can take him to task. No?

And no I don’t, nor never have, lived in a trailer park or my mothers basement.

12. btwicey - Aug 29, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Lol @ all your Internet hard men having a dig at MP. Too funny but rather sad IMO.

Molina is a class act, he’s come a long way in the past 18 months.

13. lazlosother - Aug 29, 2012 at 6:48 PM

There seems to be strong opinions on both sides of this play. In my opinion (I realize you may not care) it was clean. There was no obstruction of the plate by Molina, and there was no cheap shot by Harrison.

Molina positioned himself so Harrison had the outside of the plate but…. The throw caused Molina to move to his left to field it, putting him dead center of the baseline. Harrison noted he was going to slide until he saw Molina moving to field the throw. At that point, a slide would have come up feet short of the plate, and there was no outside path. Harrison rammed him. This is standard and not considered dirty. Catchers do it themselves. Yadi had no complaints against Harrison, Harrison had no complaints about Yadi. MLB could avoid this type of play by forcing players to slide but it likely won’t happen, especially not with Selig.

The HBP is standard. If the pitcher hits him in the lower back or ass the player doesn’t seem to take offense. MLB usually follows with a joke of a suspension. Again, MLB could up the ante and end this type of thing, but they obviously don’t want to.

There is no way to eliminate the possibility of injury to a player. The question is what risk is acceptable. Apparently MLB, and the majority of owners, and fans find the risk involved in this type of play to be acceptable.

14. scorpionamongus - Aug 29, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Both instances were baseball the way it was meant to be played. Harrison’s hit on Yadi was clean – Yadi validated that thought in his comments – while Westbrook hitting Harrison was something which has been a part of the game since the inning after the first HBP. “You hurt one of our guys, we’re going to hurt one of yours.”

It doesn’t matter if the hit was clean or not; a pitcher still has an obligation to send a message to the other team that he is going to protect his teammates. (And let’s be honest; Jake did a god job of hitting Harrison with a relatively gentle pitch and he made sure it stayed low. There was no head hunting.)

Baseball rocks.

15. trybe29dr - Aug 29, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Thats baseball huh? If it was a clean play why hbp him and have john jay slide dirty at 2nd? These are 2 teams contending harrison did what he had to in order to score. Westbrook was bush league. There was no need for the hbp

16. stex52 - Aug 29, 2012 at 11:16 PM

The fact that Yadier says it was a clean play within the parameters of how things are played now does not mean it is a good idea to continue with things as they are. Enforce the rules. Save a lot of bad injuries.

17. psunick - Aug 30, 2012 at 11:49 AM

I think a lot of you mixed up this Pittsburgh Harrison with the other ball playing pro Harrison in Pittsburgh.

But it sure looks like he learned a few things from him!

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (4993)