Aug 29, 2012, 1:14 AM EDT
Yu Darvish turned in his best start since April on Tuesday, blanking the Rays for seven innings and striking out 10 as the Rangers won 1-0.
It was Darvish’s third straight quality start, but also the first time since July 21 that he’s ended a start without allowing at least three runs. Darvish went without giving up a run for the second time as a big leaguer; he pitched 8 1/3 scoreless innings in a win over the Yankees on April 24.
James Shields was the hard-luck loser for the Rays tonight, allowing one run and three hits in seven innings. He struck out eight while falling to 12-8.
Darvish reached double figures in strikeouts for the eighth time this year. R.A. Dickey is second in the majors with six such games. Felix Hernandez, Shields and Stephen Strasburg have five such games.
While Darvish has been inconsistent in amassing a 4.31 ERA and a 1.41 WHIP, he is 13-9 and the Rangers have gone 15-9 in his starts. The postseason will likely determine whether his rookie campaign is viewed as a disappointment or not.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)