Aug 30, 2012, 8:22 AM EDT
On Tuesday Alfredo Aceves came back from his suspension and was used in a two-inning save attempt. Last night he was brought in for mop-up duty in the seventh inning of a blowout. Can you say “demotion?”
Apparently Bobby Valentine can’t say it. Or else he hasn’t told Aceves about it, because here’s what Aceves said when he was asked if he was no longer the Sox’ closer:
“I wish I can know”
And Valentine made vague postgame comments about maybe “stretching out” Aceves.
I’d go with Andrew Bailey over Aceves right now if I was running the ship, and it’s pretty obvious and understandable that Aceves will not be the closer for the Red Sox in the future. But it’s also kinda lame that Valentine seems to be jerking him around like this.
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (84)