Aug 30, 2012, 8:22 AM EDT
On Tuesday Alfredo Aceves came back from his suspension and was used in a two-inning save attempt. Last night he was brought in for mop-up duty in the seventh inning of a blowout. Can you say “demotion?”
Apparently Bobby Valentine can’t say it. Or else he hasn’t told Aceves about it, because here’s what Aceves said when he was asked if he was no longer the Sox’ closer:
“I wish I can know”
And Valentine made vague postgame comments about maybe “stretching out” Aceves.
I’d go with Andrew Bailey over Aceves right now if I was running the ship, and it’s pretty obvious and understandable that Aceves will not be the closer for the Red Sox in the future. But it’s also kinda lame that Valentine seems to be jerking him around like this.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 17
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Brandon Phillips: “How the [expletive] am I declining?” (61)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)