Alfredo Aceves is apparently not the closer anymore

Aug 30, 2012, 8:22 AM EDT

Alfredo Aceves AP

On Tuesday Alfredo Aceves came back from his suspension and was used in a two-inning save attempt. Last night he was brought in for mop-up duty in the seventh inning of a blowout.  Can you say “demotion?”

Apparently Bobby Valentine can’t say it. Or else he hasn’t told Aceves about it, because here’s what Aceves said when he was asked if he was no longer the Sox’ closer:

“I wish I can know”

And Valentine made vague postgame comments about maybe “stretching out” Aceves.

I’d go with Andrew Bailey over Aceves right now if I was running the ship, and it’s pretty obvious and understandable that Aceves will not be the closer for the Red Sox in the future. But it’s also kinda lame that Valentine seems to be jerking him around like this.

1. drmonkeyarmy - Aug 30, 2012 at 8:26 AM

Well Valentine is an ass….has always been an ass. Was an ass when he was managing the Mets, was an ass in the broadcast booth, is an ass as the Red Sox manager. I don’t know what the Boston higher ups thought was going to happen.

• Old Gator - Aug 30, 2012 at 8:39 AM

Maybe they thought he’d grow a rest of himself, you know, like a planaria.

• pellypell - Aug 30, 2012 at 8:59 AM

Ass ass ass ass ass…..Bobby V’s favorite song.

• bigleagues - Aug 30, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Valentine seems to be jerking him around like this.

Here we go stoking the Valentine sucks embers again.

Look, I think there is a good chance that Valentine will be dismissed at the conclusion of the season. But, if he’s not . . . then what do we make of it?

While it was Stan Kasten and John Henry that got the ball rolling on the MegaHella trade, all signs are pointing to Ben Cherington being the guy who got it done. If so, that would represent the best sign yet that Henry has handed the reigns over Cherington to do what is necessary to get the ship righted – and keep Lucchino away from his meddling on the baseball ops side. And we all know that Valentine was not Cherington’s choice. So if Valentine is brought back for 2013 – which remains a possibility since he is still there, then what are we to make of it?

My point is, perhaps the country club guests (Red Sox players) had their egos catered to just a tad too much. Perhaps.

And can we all stop pretending that Major League Baseball players need to be told exactly what their role is from day to day? Especially bullpen pitcher(s) who have been way underperforming, have had apparently unacceptable outbursts in the clubhouse and were only manning the rudder until the guy who is being paid to be Closer is healthy enough to return?

Lest we forget that it was Valentine who showed faith in Aceves’ ability to handle the Closing duties back in the Spring? Even when Aceves was more interested in Starting? And Aceves, at the time said, whatever the team needs me to do, I’ll do it?!

So, really Alfredo, I love you kid, but just shut up and do what you are asked.

Then again, perhaps the Yankees non-tendered an otherwise talented then 28-year-old hurler more because of the judgement issues (broken clavicle and back injuries in a biking accident) then for the injuries themselves which is what they stated at the time.

• Cris E - Aug 30, 2012 at 9:25 AM

They probably knew that this (bad year for the team) was going to happen so they went out and got this (obnoxious Bobby V) to happen at the same time. A little bread and circus for RSN while they clean house.

• ramrene - Aug 30, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Sorry you lame @ss Boston idiots but got to agree with Bobby V here. If Acevas acted like an @ss then he needs to be treated like an @ss to learn his lesson. Bobby jerking him around is baseball. Happens in every clubhouse and has been going on for 40-years. It’s called “old school”. Learn it, like it, live it.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 30, 2012 at 11:31 AM

I don’t like the Red Sox. I just think Valentine is one of the biggest cock knockers in MLB. He is a pompous ass clown who needs to stroke his own ego at the expense of the team. Has a career .508 winning percentage and everybody wants to act like he is some elite manager. I call bullshit and shenanigans on that idea.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 30, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Furthermore, there is no need for personal attacks on other commenters. I call shenanigans on that as well.

• Sign Ahead - Aug 30, 2012 at 11:53 AM

It does sound like Acevas misbehaved, but Valentine isn’t exactly covering himself in glory. From the outside, this looks like two strangers having a loud and personal argument in a public place. It doesn’t matter who’s right, to bystanders they both look like jerks.

• baldrich819 - Aug 30, 2012 at 11:19 PM

All that ass and nobodies getting laid.. Great, just great…

2. Joe - Aug 30, 2012 at 8:34 AM

Bobby V. turning this into more of a side show is perhaps the most inevitable thing in the history of inevitable things.

3. stex52 - Aug 30, 2012 at 8:40 AM

There are a lot of different ways to manage teams and individuals, and it is hard to judge from a distance. I don’t think Bobby V. is responsible for the collapse. But I don’t see where he has done much to help things. And he certainly lacks class.

4. skeleteeth - Aug 30, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Lame that Valentine jerks Aceves around? Have you ever seen him on the mound and what his battery mates go through? Last year there was a game (probably more actually) where Varitek came out to the mound and the two just stared at each other, not saying anything, after Aceves neither acknowledging a pitch nor shaking Tek off and multiple previous mound visits. I think Valentine is just giving him a taste of his own medicine. I don’t see him having any other choice and really should just get over himself.

What’s really lame is that this is Red Sox “news” on August 30th…

5. brewcrewfan54 - Aug 30, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Nothing I’ve heard about Bobb V this year makes me think he’s a good manager. He may know all the baseball strategy in the world but managing also means getting all of his players on the same page. It seems he hasn’t put any effort at all into the latter. Way to manage jerk.

6. bengalsfan19 - Aug 30, 2012 at 9:05 AM

how is bobby v jerking him around..bailey was brought in to be the closer…end of story

7. jrbdmb - Aug 30, 2012 at 9:08 AM

Smart teams would keep Aceves as closer or setup, work him with what he’s OK with (no multi-inning games), then get something in the off-season. Dumb teams would take Aceves out of the closer role without telling him, suspend him, ban him from the team plane, throw him into blowout games, and generally do whatever they can to kill his value, then get nothing for him in the off-season.

The Sox and Valentine were dumb with Youk, and now they’re being stupid with Aceves.

• dondada10 - Aug 30, 2012 at 9:44 AM

I agree with what your saying, but I think at this point all of MLB knows what Aceves is: a talented malcontent.

8. drewsylvania - Aug 30, 2012 at 9:44 AM

People are going to start throwing tomatoes at Bobby wherever he goes.

• skeleteeth - Aug 30, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Regardless of management prowess, he did not hire himself. Blame the wizards in the team’s luxury box.

9. xpensivewinos - Aug 30, 2012 at 10:41 AM

I can see Cherington waiting until the end of the season to tell Valentine that “the organization has decided to go in another direction,” but why is he keeping Aceves around? He’s more trouble than he’s worth…………..release him immediately.

10. randygnyc - Aug 30, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Funny thing is, everyday I see/read about how BV is handling Red sox players and each day my respect for bobby grows. I think I even feel sorry for him. Let Bobby hire his own coaches and give that man an EXTENSION!!!

11. tfbuckfutter - Aug 30, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Is it true he was so mad about the demotion that he tried slamming Bobby Valentine’s office door but failed miserably in getting it to stay closed?

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3407)