Cole Hamels to pitch Sunday after “bad salad” missed start

Aug 30, 2012, 2:20 PM EDT

Cole Hamels AP

Cole Hamels was scratched from yesterday’s start against the Mets because of what the Phillies called “a gastrointestinal illness” but he apparently felt much better today and is now scheduled to start Sunday versus the Braves.

Todd Zolecki of MLB.com reports that the source of Hamels’ stomach problems was “a bad salad,” which is why I personally have played it safe for 29 years by never eating a salad. Too dangerous, can’t take that chance.

Tyler Cloyd was called up from Triple-A to make his MLB debut in place of Hamels and tossed six innings of three-run ball, so that bad salad will get Cloyd at least a couple starts in the big leagues.

1. dondada10 - Aug 30, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Bad salad. I need to remember that next time I’m hung over and call in sick.

• proudlycanadian - Aug 30, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Salad and alcohol are both vegetarian so there is some accuracy in that excuse..

• mississippimusicman - Aug 30, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Except tequila, if the bottle has a worm in it…

• proudlycanadian - Aug 30, 2012 at 3:44 PM

To me, if it has a worm in it, that is a bad salad.

• chadjones27 - Aug 30, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Not to be that guy, but, I’m going to be that guy. Mezcal has the worm and is not a tequila. I could be wrong on this, but I think tequila is a type of mezcal though.

2. fearlessleader - Aug 30, 2012 at 3:12 PM

You don’t win games with sal-AD
    You don’t win games with sal-AD…..

(that was for the Simpsons fans)

• delawarephilliesfan - Aug 30, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Awww man! No need to point it was Simpsons – those of us who count knew!

Lisa: [reading the invitation] “Come to Homer’s BBBQ. The extra B is for BYOBB.”
      Bart: What’s that extra B for?
      Homer: It’s a typo.

Lisa: Wait Dad! Good news, everyone! You don’t have to eat meat! I’ve got enough gazpacho for everyone.
      [Crowd murmurs]
      Lisa: It’s tomato soup, served ice cold!
      [Crowd laughs out loud as Lisa growls and stomps off]
      Barney Gumble: Go back to Russia!

• fearlessleader - Aug 30, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Sorry, sorry, just didn’t want the uninitiated to think I was nuts.

When Fernando Salas was stinking up the Cards’ bullpen earlier this season, I spent a lot of evenings conga-ing around my living room and singing “You don’t win games with Sal-AS! You don’t win games with Sal-AS!” ….but he’s been better lately, so I’ve had to look elsewhere for my (literal) kicks.

3. vivabear - Aug 30, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Maybe next time he’ll think twice about tossing salad, there’s always a pretty good chance it’s a bad one.

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey