Aug 30, 2012, 12:00 PM EDT
At some point you figure it’s best to just be quiet about things and hope the bad stuff ends as the season collapses. But Dustin Pedroia put on his media pants yesterday and went on at length with Rob Bradford of WEEI and explained his side and/or the team’s side of every notable Red Sox controversy of the year.
He talks about the early-season Youkilis-Valentine battles. The big July meeting in which, allegedly, everyone piled on Valentine. Photos of him not looking like a big Bobby V. supporter. The Johnny Pesky funeral. It’s all out there, all explained in his own words.
Which, fine. Much of it makes perfect sense. It has to, because no real life situations can actually happen in the over-the-top cartoon villain ways that most Red Sox controversies are described to be in the Boston media.
But really, does he think this is going to help? I kinda doubt that this is going to help. It seems like the best way to kill all of this garbage is to deprive it of any media oxygen whatsoever.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 30
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)