Aug 30, 2012, 2:54 PM EDT
At least it seems that way.
A couple weeks ago, Jimmy Rollins got in hot water with Charlie Manuel over not running out a ground ball. A few minutes ago, he just got into hot water over lack of hustle again. Although this was a bit different.
One out, bottom of the sixth, and the Phillies beating the Mets 3-2. Rollins comes to the plate and pops to Jon Niese. Except Niese drops it. Rollins was safe at first but he was definitely just jogging leisurely. He probably could have made second on a straight run. Rollins stole second before the inning ended. Afterwards some words, though not angry ones, were exchanged with Charlie Manuel in the dugout and then Rollins was benched.
Given the lack of a big argument you sorta figure that Manuel told Rollins he’d have a zero tolerance policy on him not running balls out and Rollins knew he didn’t do it. Indeed, the Mets announcers suggested that Rollins stole second because he knew he should have been there to begin with.
That said, ask yourself the last time you saw a guy truly run out a popup to the pitcher. Yeah, me neither. But Rollins is under the HustleScope way more than any other established star in baseball, it seems.
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 58
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 17
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 32
- Meet the Matz! The Mets call up Steven Matz to make his MLB debut 11
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 23
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)