Aug 30, 2012, 6:39 PM EDT
That the Astros will watch Roger Clemens’ second outing for the independent Sugar Land Skeeters on Sept. 7 was a given, and CBSSports.com’s Danny Knobler says there is “strong speculation in baseball” that Clemens will then pitch for the Astros five days later.
That’d be Sept. 12 against the Cubs, baseball’s second worst team since the All-Star break. The Astros, at 8-47 in their last 55 games, are pretty well locked into the 30th spot on any sort of power rankings one could dream up.
The 50-year-old Clemens pitched 3 1/3 scoreless innings last Saturday in his first start for the Skeeters. He announced last night that he’d make his second outing Sept. 7 on 12 days’ rest.
For what it’s worth, given the schedule, it sure seems like Clemens is on his own timetable and not Houston’s. While the Astros are at home on Sept. 12, he’d only seem to be in position to make one additional start in Houston by debuting then. If he bumped that up to Sept. 10 or 11 instead, he’d have been in a position to make three or maybe even four home starts for the Astros before the season ended.
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 21
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 5
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 9
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (95)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)