Aug 30, 2012, 6:39 PM EST
That the Astros will watch Roger Clemens’ second outing for the independent Sugar Land Skeeters on Sept. 7 was a given, and CBSSports.com’s Danny Knobler says there is “strong speculation in baseball” that Clemens will then pitch for the Astros five days later.
That’d be Sept. 12 against the Cubs, baseball’s second worst team since the All-Star break. The Astros, at 8-47 in their last 55 games, are pretty well locked into the 30th spot on any sort of power rankings one could dream up.
The 50-year-old Clemens pitched 3 1/3 scoreless innings last Saturday in his first start for the Skeeters. He announced last night that he’d make his second outing Sept. 7 on 12 days’ rest.
For what it’s worth, given the schedule, it sure seems like Clemens is on his own timetable and not Houston’s. While the Astros are at home on Sept. 12, he’d only seem to be in position to make one additional start in Houston by debuting then. If he bumped that up to Sept. 10 or 11 instead, he’d have been in a position to make three or maybe even four home starts for the Astros before the season ended.
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 0
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 22
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 85
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (86)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)