Aug 30, 2012, 6:39 PM EST
That the Astros will watch Roger Clemens’ second outing for the independent Sugar Land Skeeters on Sept. 7 was a given, and CBSSports.com’s Danny Knobler says there is “strong speculation in baseball” that Clemens will then pitch for the Astros five days later.
That’d be Sept. 12 against the Cubs, baseball’s second worst team since the All-Star break. The Astros, at 8-47 in their last 55 games, are pretty well locked into the 30th spot on any sort of power rankings one could dream up.
The 50-year-old Clemens pitched 3 1/3 scoreless innings last Saturday in his first start for the Skeeters. He announced last night that he’d make his second outing Sept. 7 on 12 days’ rest.
For what it’s worth, given the schedule, it sure seems like Clemens is on his own timetable and not Houston’s. While the Astros are at home on Sept. 12, he’d only seem to be in position to make one additional start in Houston by debuting then. If he bumped that up to Sept. 10 or 11 instead, he’d have been in a position to make three or maybe even four home starts for the Astros before the season ended.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 32
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 377
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (377)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)