Signs of approaching fall: position players being converted into pitchers

Aug 30, 2012, 11:02 AM EDT

Orioles logo

I always get a little bummed when August comes to a close and the minor league seasons end. It snakes up on me and reminds me that, in a couple of days, there will be a couple thousand professional baseball players not playing baseball until next spring.

And there are always a couple of signifying end-of-season stories that happen too.  The decision for someone to finally have that surgery they’ve been putting off is one. Another: some random prospect being converted into a pitcher, or vice-versa:

The Orioles placed Delmarva shortstop Mychal Givens on the inactive list Wednesday for an unspecified reason. Givens, who has also been dealing with some elbow soreness, could be back before the Shorebirds’ season ends Sept. 3 in West Virginia.

But it’s possible the second-round pick in the 2009 draft has played his last game as an infielder in the Orioles’ organization.Don’t be surprised if he ends up as a pitcher next year. That’s the plan for now.

I know nothing about this guy I didn’t read in the article (short version: he’s a shorstop who can’t hit or field but who threw 96 m.p.h. in high school).  But I always get some twinge of … something when I read this kind of thing.  The stuff about the season ending like I said. Also some weird feelings I always get when I hear about people making big life changes. A combination of excitement, trepidation and some sadness over plans going awry.

1. cur68 - Aug 30, 2012 at 11:09 AM

End of August. Yikes. Where did the baseball season go? I know. The DL. To Dr. Yokum’s Office. For multiple MRI’s and finally surgeries and advice from Sam Fuld. -sigh- I know the feeling well, Craig. Its that special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, maybe below the cockles, maybe in the sub-cockle area, maybe in the liver, maybe in the kidneys, maybe even in the colon. We don’t know…

• toozie21 - Aug 30, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Great reference! It is the theme song to my life…

2. ajcardsfan - Aug 30, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Hardballtalk – Where baseball fanatics talk about the approaching end of season like it’s High School Graduation and we’re all 17 and 18 year old girls

• sportsdrenched - Aug 30, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Maybe FC could break down what a HBT Commenter Prom would look like.

3. southpaw2k - Aug 30, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Why bother with Mychal Givens when they already have Chris Davis?

4. dowhatifeellike - Aug 30, 2012 at 12:22 PM

I think Craig could use some antidepressants, though this isn’t quite the kind of Seasonal Affective Disorder I learned about in school.

• sportsdrenched - Aug 30, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Seasonal Affective Disorder is real. Although, mine doesn’t set in till early Janurary and it lasts till College Baseball opens up in late Feburary.

5. sportsdrenched - Aug 30, 2012 at 12:47 PM

High School & College Football start tonight. I am always excited about this. I enjoy both sports. However, I’m going to the final reg season home game of the Wichita Wingnuts and will probably be my last live baseball till next spring. I say probably, The ‘Nutz are in the playoffs, and WSU still has their Fall Series, but I never seem to make it to any of those.

Sad Face.

6. mrwillie - Aug 30, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Sad indeed. I love the playoff pushes and the roster call ups, but I always hate to see the minor league games go. I am fortunate to live 15-20 mins from two minor league clubs, already seen the last of one and will be going to the the last of the other tonight. Beer just won’t taste as good till next spring.

7. Pierre Cruzatte - Aug 30, 2012 at 2:42 PM

“some random prospect being converted into a pitcher, or vice-versa”

Very subtle pro-TINSTAAPP trolling. High five.

8. randomdigits - Aug 30, 2012 at 3:37 PM

They should have had him slotted as a relief pitcher to begin with. Threw 96 with wonky 3/4-side arm action.

Of course who blows a high second round pick and 800K on a HS relief pitcher?

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win