The song you’re gonna get tired of this postseason: Springsteen’s “Land of Hope and Dreams”

Aug 30, 2012, 8:52 AM EST

Springsteen

Each fall Major League Baseball and its broadcast partners put together a pretty elaborate music video/promo thingy for the postseason. The song and its underlying theme are used for commercial bumpers and intros and become ubiquitous — often annoyingly so — to anyone who sits and watches the playoffs every night.

But if we’re gonna get tired of a playoff promo song, at least this year baseball has made a massive improvement over “Written in the Stars.” It’s The Boss, “Land of Hope and Dreams.”

Like most repurposed-Springsteen, it’s best to not get too hung up on the fact that the song is rooted in the crumbling and elusive American Dream and, instead, just groove on the uplift. You know, like “Born in the USA” at a political rally. Or “State Trooper” at a FOP banquet.

Enjoy:

1. jaysjunkie - Aug 30, 2012 at 9:03 AM

Saw Springsteen for the seventh time last Friday and he played three hours and forty minutes – absolutely spectacular. Guy was running around for pretty much the whole show with no 5-10 minute breaks for any bullshit guitar or drum solos, which is damn impressive for a 62-year-old. Kinda surprised he’s letting MLB use the song, though. IMO, it’s one of his best tracks.

• badmamainphilliesjamas - Aug 30, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Bruce. Citizens Bank Park. Monday night. :) :) :)

2. heyblueyoustink - Aug 30, 2012 at 9:03 AM

And here I was hoping for ” A Night in Tunisia “.

• proudlycanadian - Aug 30, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Either that or Harlem Nocturne.

• heyblueyoustink - Aug 30, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Easy there, someone might mistake that for east coast bias ;-)

• proudlycanadian - Aug 30, 2012 at 2:32 PM

How about something a little bit older such as “I Got A Right To Sing The Blues”?

3. crispybasil - Aug 30, 2012 at 9:04 AM

One thing the Boston sports media has been on top of this year is ensuring that readers know how obsessed with Springsteen they all are.

4. amhendrick - Aug 30, 2012 at 9:39 AM

I liked “Written in the Stars.” It was on my kids Kidz Bop cd.

5. mybrunoblog - Aug 30, 2012 at 9:49 AM

LOHAD has been one of my favorite Bruce songs since the Rising tour. He played it a lot on that tour. Why is Bruce selling his music to tv? Not like you need the money boss.

6. gosport474 - Aug 30, 2012 at 9:59 AM

I would be happy with the old ‘This week in Baseball’ song.

7. aceshigh11 - Aug 30, 2012 at 10:05 AM

SpringSTEIN is a known dope addict, a Hussein 0bummer supporter, and an anti-American scumbag.

Plus…he’s rich and pretends to be a blue-collar coal miner!! Why doesn’t he just give all his money to the poor? Huh? HUH?

HE TOOK OUR JEEORBS!!

Just thought I’d save all the right-wingers here some time by posting a “greatest hits” compilation of their predictable and oh-so-reasonable anti-Springsteen tirades.

• danielcp0303 - Aug 30, 2012 at 10:09 AM

I was about to bite, then I read the last sentence. Well done

• jaysjunkie - Aug 30, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Lol, I was just winding up for some keyboard invective until I read that last sentence as well. “Well done” indeed.

• heyblueyoustink - Aug 30, 2012 at 10:29 AM

I see you’ve been infected. Yes, election season does tend to bring the irrelevant out of people. Here’s to hoping you get well soon, ace.

• hammyofdoom - Aug 30, 2012 at 11:06 AM

I TAKE BACK MY THUMBS DOWN! God what have I done!

• stlouis1baseball - Aug 30, 2012 at 3:11 PM

When listening to music and/or watching a movie you have to set aside the “artists” politics.
      After all…any self respecting musician or actor is mandated by the laws of liberalism (or is it progressiveism?) to be incredibly guilt ridden over their personal success.
      Cause’ you know…being successful is a crime. A heinous crime at that.

8. manifunk - Aug 30, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Ugh as if he wasn’t overrated already

• El Bravo - Aug 30, 2012 at 10:37 AM

HAHAHA, I was gonna chime in to say this:

Bruce Springstein is the reason the term “overrated” exists. Sure, perhaps he’s an exceptional musician (he’s not), or perhaps just an exceptional singer (he’s not), but even if he’s pretty darn good (which he is) and has a great track record (he does), he sure the f@ck isn’t as good as everyone says/thinks he is. At least there’s factual evidence to back up the international, long-term fervor over The Beatles.

• danielcp0303 - Aug 30, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Bruce Springstein is overrated. Bruce Springsteen however is very underrated.

• El Bravo - Aug 30, 2012 at 10:46 AM

I’d love to hear how exactly the boss is underrated. Misspellings aside.

• danielcp0303 - Aug 30, 2012 at 10:56 AM

He’s a terrific songwriter, very honest. His guitar playing is very underrated. Back in the 70s he would shred the guitar, has very fast fingers. He learned to tone it down so that it doesn’t overshadow the songs or his performance as a whole. The guy is in his early 60s and still plays over 3 hours every time he goes on stage, and it’s always been like that. Having the respect of Paul McCartney, Bob Dylan and some of the greatest artists of all time…he can never be overrated. He deserves the highest rating there is. You should watch him play Born In The USA or some other song when he plays the 12 string guitar.

• jaysjunkie - Aug 30, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Wow, you really know how to make your point. Are you familiar with what “perhaps” actually means? Your usage of it certainly doesn’t suggest so. Then your comments where you surmise that he’s “pretty darn good” and “has a great track record” and then confirm those points only adds to the confusion. Not sure what the hell kind of “factual evidence” he’s lacking as a testimony to his iconic status either, nor the “international” argument. He’s massive in North America and is probably even bigger in Europe.

• El Bravo - Aug 30, 2012 at 11:11 AM

He’s good. Not great. Even if he’s “great”, everyone thinks he’s God. You can’t talk bad about him without getting attacked as if you blasphemed. The definition of overrated.

• kevinbnyc - Aug 30, 2012 at 2:46 PM

He’s way better than Michael Young.

• mrwillie - Aug 30, 2012 at 2:49 PM

I was never a big Bruce fan myself either. Always respected the guy, just not my thing. About five years ago my NJ buddy convinced me to go to a Bruce show with him and I was very impressed. I’ve been to a lot of shows in my life and only at a few have I ever seen a band play like that for 4 hrs with no set break. Gained a lot more respect for those guys that night, and have since bought a few albums. Overrated he is not.

• stlouis1baseball - Aug 30, 2012 at 3:01 PM

“You can’t talk bad about him without getting attacked as if you blasphemed.”
        Yep…much like our fearless leader currently in office at the White House.
        Aces: I have my popcorn ready. Your take?

9. snowbirdgothic - Aug 30, 2012 at 10:37 AM

There will be no references to someone throwing a “speedball” by you.

This makes me happy.

10. tmohr - Aug 30, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Perhaps they will select a Bruce song for each team.

Such as “My City Of Ruins” for the Red Sox, “Working On A Dream” for the Cubs, “Ain’t Good Enough For You” for the Phillies, etc.

• danielcp0303 - Aug 30, 2012 at 11:12 AM

The Houston Astros “Death To My Hometown”

• Lukehart80 - Aug 30, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Nationals – Growin’ Up
      Giants – Adam Raised a (Matt) Cain
      A’s – No Surrender
      Indians – Wreck on the Highway

• jaysjunkie - Aug 30, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Blue Jays – “Better Days”, “If I Should Fall Behind”
      Cubs – “The Promised Land”, “This Depression”
      Nationals – “The Rising”
      Bud Selig – “Used Cars”

11. thereisaparty - Aug 30, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Why must there be only one song? Can they at least play different parts of the song instead of the same two bars of the chorus that feature the song’s title? “Born Free” and “Written in the Stars” transformed from poor pop songs into methods of torture.

• shanabartels - Aug 30, 2012 at 1:12 PM

I agree that it’s tedious to have only one song — and a tiny portion of one song at that — played ad nauseam throughout the postseason. It gets tiresome so quickly, even if it’s a song that we otherwise wouldn’t mind. The Kid Rock song a couple of years ago was awful; “Written in the Stars” had a catchy chorus at least, but hearing it like a thousand times a week can drive anyone nuts. Using a few different songs would have been nice.

As far as this year’s song goes, sometimes I feel guilty that I’m so indifferent about Bruce (no last name is necessary where I’m from because everyone knows who you mean). I mean, I’m from Jersey, born and raised. I like the guy’s politics and what he stands for. I just can’t really get into his music. “Born to Run” is a catchy song I suppose. If that means I’m a bad New Jerseyan, I’m sorry. I’ll probably get a lot of thumbs-down for saying I’m indifferent. I don’t actively dislike Bruce or his music. I just think it’s ehhhhh.

• petey1999 - Aug 30, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Well, we all have room for growth.

12. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Aug 30, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Bruce Springsteen; one of the best songwriters and performers in rock history. Well done, MLB.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester