Aug 31, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
Adam Wainwright still has another year and $12 million on his contract after this season, but he’s pitched so well returning from Tommy John surgery that the Cardinals are interested in signing him beyond 2013.
Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reports that the front office approached Wainwright about a possible contract extension and the right-hander told them he wants to wait until the season is over for fear of becoming a distraction for the team.
Wainwright initially struggled to regain his form after missing all of last season, taking a 5.77 ERA into mid-May, but since then he’s started 18 games with a 2.87 ERA and 116/22 K/BB ratio in 122 innings. Obviously he needs to stay healthy, but at age 31 he could be one season away from $100 million offers on the open market.
- Giants rout Royals 11-4 in Game 4 to even up the World Series at 2-2 14
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 62
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 33
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (106)