Aug 31, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
Rodriguez is currently rehabbing his broken hand at Single-A and has been sidelined for more than a month, during which time the Yankees are just 17-16 despite Eric Chavez hitting .342 as the fill-in third baseman.
In fact, Chavez has played so well in Rodriguez’s absence that manager Joe Girardi seems likely to keep them both in the lineup together by playing one of them at designated hitter. Chavez seeing some time at first base is also possible.
Before breaking his hand Rodriguez hit .276 with 15 homers in 94 games for an .806 OPS that is both solidly above average and the worst mark of his career at age 36.
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 76
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 0
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 23
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 93
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (99)