Aug 31, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
Rodriguez is currently rehabbing his broken hand at Single-A and has been sidelined for more than a month, during which time the Yankees are just 17-16 despite Eric Chavez hitting .342 as the fill-in third baseman.
In fact, Chavez has played so well in Rodriguez’s absence that manager Joe Girardi seems likely to keep them both in the lineup together by playing one of them at designated hitter. Chavez seeing some time at first base is also possible.
Before breaking his hand Rodriguez hit .276 with 15 homers in 94 games for an .806 OPS that is both solidly above average and the worst mark of his career at age 36.
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 27
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 57
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 32
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)