Aug 31, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
Rodriguez is currently rehabbing his broken hand at Single-A and has been sidelined for more than a month, during which time the Yankees are just 17-16 despite Eric Chavez hitting .342 as the fill-in third baseman.
In fact, Chavez has played so well in Rodriguez’s absence that manager Joe Girardi seems likely to keep them both in the lineup together by playing one of them at designated hitter. Chavez seeing some time at first base is also possible.
Before breaking his hand Rodriguez hit .276 with 15 homers in 94 games for an .806 OPS that is both solidly above average and the worst mark of his career at age 36.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 17
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 25
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 105
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8