Aug 31, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
Rodriguez is currently rehabbing his broken hand at Single-A and has been sidelined for more than a month, during which time the Yankees are just 17-16 despite Eric Chavez hitting .342 as the fill-in third baseman.
In fact, Chavez has played so well in Rodriguez’s absence that manager Joe Girardi seems likely to keep them both in the lineup together by playing one of them at designated hitter. Chavez seeing some time at first base is also possible.
Before breaking his hand Rodriguez hit .276 with 15 homers in 94 games for an .806 OPS that is both solidly above average and the worst mark of his career at age 36.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 62
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 44
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 97
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (97)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)