Aug 31, 2012, 9:45 PM EST
Andy Pettitte still has some hurdles to cross before rejoining the Yankees, but he’s finally moving in the right direction.
According to the Associated Press, Pettitte threw off a mound this afternoon for the first time since fracturing his left ankle on a comebacker on June 27. The 40-year-old southpaw told Spencer Fordin of MLB.com that it wasn’t a “hard” bullpen and that he didn’t fully exert himself, but that it was a relief to get it out of the way.
“It was huge,” said Pettitte. “I’m sure that you guys talking to me could tell that I was getting a little paranoid about how this thing’s going to feel. Today was good. I didn’t get out there and push off as hard as I could and let it fly, but I was just introducing myself back to the mound. I felt really comfortable, so that was a good thing. And my arm felt just free and easy. That was another good thing.”
Pettitte will check in with the team’s training staff before the next step is decided, but he’s hoping to make two starts before the end of the regular season. He had an excellent 3.22 ERA and 59/15 K/BB ratio in 59 innings before the injury and has already said that he’s open to pitching again in 2013.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)