Aug 31, 2012, 9:45 PM EDT
Andy Pettitte still has some hurdles to cross before rejoining the Yankees, but he’s finally moving in the right direction.
According to the Associated Press, Pettitte threw off a mound this afternoon for the first time since fracturing his left ankle on a comebacker on June 27. The 40-year-old southpaw told Spencer Fordin of MLB.com that it wasn’t a “hard” bullpen and that he didn’t fully exert himself, but that it was a relief to get it out of the way.
“It was huge,” said Pettitte. “I’m sure that you guys talking to me could tell that I was getting a little paranoid about how this thing’s going to feel. Today was good. I didn’t get out there and push off as hard as I could and let it fly, but I was just introducing myself back to the mound. I felt really comfortable, so that was a good thing. And my arm felt just free and easy. That was another good thing.”
Pettitte will check in with the team’s training staff before the next step is decided, but he’s hoping to make two starts before the end of the regular season. He had an excellent 3.22 ERA and 59/15 K/BB ratio in 59 innings before the injury and has already said that he’s open to pitching again in 2013.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 2
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 4
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 83
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (85)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)