Aug 31, 2012, 9:45 PM EDT
Andy Pettitte still has some hurdles to cross before rejoining the Yankees, but he’s finally moving in the right direction.
According to the Associated Press, Pettitte threw off a mound this afternoon for the first time since fracturing his left ankle on a comebacker on June 27. The 40-year-old southpaw told Spencer Fordin of MLB.com that it wasn’t a “hard” bullpen and that he didn’t fully exert himself, but that it was a relief to get it out of the way.
“It was huge,” said Pettitte. “I’m sure that you guys talking to me could tell that I was getting a little paranoid about how this thing’s going to feel. Today was good. I didn’t get out there and push off as hard as I could and let it fly, but I was just introducing myself back to the mound. I felt really comfortable, so that was a good thing. And my arm felt just free and easy. That was another good thing.”
Pettitte will check in with the team’s training staff before the next step is decided, but he’s hoping to make two starts before the end of the regular season. He had an excellent 3.22 ERA and 59/15 K/BB ratio in 59 innings before the injury and has already said that he’s open to pitching again in 2013.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 16
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (121)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)