Astros have No. 1 pick locked up, but race for the bottom is crowded after that

Aug 31, 2012, 12:46 PM EDT

Mark Appel AP

Houston has the worst record in baseball locked up for the second straight season, so the Astros can start deciding what to do with the No. 1 overall pick in next June’s draft.

Right now the Cubs own the second-worst record, but the race for the No. 2 pick is pretty crowded:

W      L       GB
Astros       40     91     ----
Cubs         50     80     10.5
Twins        53     78     13.0
Rockies      53     76     14.0
Indians      55     76     15.0

Minnesota picked second this season and the Twins trail the Cubs by just 2.5 games for the right to do that again next year. However, the Indians are coming on pretty strong. In fact, since the All-Star break Houston (7-38) and Cleveland (11-35) are the only two teams with fewer than 15 wins or more than 30 losses.

Unfortunately for the Astros and everyone else listed above next year's draft, much like this year's draft, is considered a weak class in terms of elite-level talent and most early projections have Stanford right-hander Mark Appel as the top prospect available. Houston passed on Appel with the No. 1 pick in June and he tumbled all the way to Pittsburgh at No. 8 before turning down $3.8 million and going back to school.

1. cubsrice - Aug 31, 2012 at 12:52 PM

The Astros are like the Van Gogh of suck.

• thefalcon123 - Aug 31, 2012 at 1:45 PM

In their last 55 games, the Astros are:

8 and 47 (162 game pace of 24-138)
      Averaged 2.95 runs per game (162 game pace of 477 runs)
      Given up 5.73 runs per game (pace of 928 runs)
      Have hit .230/.294/.340

I don’t think it’s a totally unfair claim to say that the Houston Astros, June 28th, 2012-Present are the worst Major League team to take the field in the liveball era.

• Francisco (FC) - Aug 31, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Maybe that’s what the Mayans were referring to in their Calendar…

2. stex52 - Aug 31, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Makes a guy proud. If Drayton ever wants to drop by Houston again, I’m sure we could scare up some tar and feathers.

• stex52 - Aug 31, 2012 at 1:02 PM

And you, Luhnow, all of this “make us a laughingstock in order to make us better” stuff is not getting the job done that I can see.

When you need a ride to the airport, I’ll be happy to oblige.

• natslady - Aug 31, 2012 at 1:22 PM

I have real sympathy. Remember the Natinals? Endless jokes on the late-night shows. Of course, now we are a laughingstock for another reason… Do you think most of the hate on the Nationals is envy? I’m starting to think so.

• stex52 - Aug 31, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Duh. It always happens to good teams. Be proud of the abuse.

• rockthered1286 - Aug 31, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Hey I know this article is about Houston but let me interject to make it about my team!

Oh wait…

• jrbdmb - Sep 1, 2012 at 12:18 AM

“Do you think most of the hate on the Nationals is envy?”

No, more like astonishment and anger that the Nats and their fans are willing to throw away a chance at the crown this year in the mistaken belief that getting to the playoffs next year and beyond is a given. If anyone should know how wrong that is it is the Nats/Expos.

• stex52 - Sep 1, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Jeff, is that you and your 30 coordinators with all of the “thumbs downs”?

3. icanspeel - Aug 31, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Next years draft class may be weak, but unless they do something major the Astros may be in line for the #1 pick for a few more seasons.

• stex52 - Aug 31, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Don’t see why not. They’ve been in official “rebuild” mode since 2008. So far, things have only gotten worse.

4. chadjones27 - Aug 31, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Shouldn’t it be Games Ahead instead of Games Back from the worst spot?

5. Francisco (FC) - Aug 31, 2012 at 1:36 PM

I swear I scanned the list and my eyes converged Twins and Rockies into “Twinkies”

• chadjones27 - Aug 31, 2012 at 1:54 PM

I know it’s almost a long weekend for most of us, but, you gotta stop drinkin’ on the job

• Francisco (FC) - Aug 31, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Hey… I’m on vacation after today, cut me some slack and serve me some bourbon.

• chadjones27 - Aug 31, 2012 at 2:12 PM

In that case, keep drinkin!

6. cosanostra71 - Aug 31, 2012 at 2:47 PM

It really is sad where the Astros are at this point. For the love of baseball I hope they turn it around.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto