Bob Uecker proves anyone can get a statue

Aug 31, 2012, 6:28 PM EST

Bob Uecker statue - Brewers.com

Bob Uecker, who is in his 42nd year of calling Brewers games on the radio, had his statue unveiled at Miller Park on Friday in an event emceed by Bob Costas.

Speakers included Brewers owner Mark Attanasio, Dick Ebersol, Bud Selig and Hank Aaron, and Robin Yount sent in a taped message. Uecker’s statue will be the fourth outside Miller park, joining those of Selig, Aaron and Yount.

Of course, it wouldn’t have a proper Uecker ceremony without some humor:

1. dkb1968 - Aug 31, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Shouldn’t the statue have been of him sitting in a seat with a bunch of seats in front of him. “The Uecker seats?”

2. vallewho - Aug 31, 2012 at 6:35 PM

It’s good to work for the brewers…

3. fuddpucker - Aug 31, 2012 at 6:49 PM

His statue will be just a little outside!

4. j0esixpack - Aug 31, 2012 at 6:55 PM

He deserves it for his work in “Major League” alone…

Well, maybe not but he’s more deserving than Joe Paterno

• Old Gator - Aug 31, 2012 at 7:32 PM

What do you mean, “maybe not”? – “During the offseason, Vaughan is a juvenile delinquent….”

• sophiethegreatdane - Aug 31, 2012 at 10:22 PM

“Heywood leads the league in most offensive categories, including nose hair.”

• Old Gator - Sep 1, 2012 at 6:04 AM

“This guy threw at his own kid during a father-son game.”

5. raysfan1 - Aug 31, 2012 at 7:26 PM

He’s not Vin Scully, but I’ve always enjoyed him as an announcer. He’s never been anything but good for the game of baseball. A well deserved honor.

6. robinyount19 - Aug 31, 2012 at 7:36 PM

The headline of this “story” is ridiculous, you’ll never get a statue Pouliot. The man is a living legend, funnier than you or any of the other news stealing, failure to proofread clowns that “write” for this site will ever be. He will be remembered forever, no one even knows who you are.

• DJ MC - Aug 31, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Amazing that someone who’s obviously a Milwaukee fan and listened to Uecker for years completely missed the joke.

Or, to quote the movie (though not him): “Come on robinyount19, get in front of the damn joke! Don’t give me this “olé” bullshit!”

7. spudatx - Aug 31, 2012 at 8:10 PM

How long will it take until someone puts a “Harry Doyle” sign over his name?

8. stoutfiles - Aug 31, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Love this guy! Before the Brewers, he covered the Indians back when Charlie Sheen was pitching for them.

9. brewcrewfan54 - Sep 1, 2012 at 1:22 AM

I love Bob Uecker. And when Henry Aaron talks I fucking listen.

10. brewcrewfan54 - Sep 1, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Bob Uecker is a broadcast legend Piioleet, or whatever your name is. I don’t get too bothered by your digs at any player/manager. Your headline takes a shot at a guy that deserves nothing bit respect. You are a crap bag. I get your schtick, I’m not mad make them better loser. P

• Reflex - Sep 1, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Um, do you know anything about Ueker outside of a baseball context? The headline is hilarious, and I think you need to watch Major League..

• brewcrewfan54 - Sep 1, 2012 at 1:53 AM

Fuck you. Theres no other way to read that headline than what it is.

• Reflex - Sep 1, 2012 at 1:59 AM

So, yeah, I guess you really have no idea about Ueker’s career outside of baseball….

• brewcrewfan54 - Sep 1, 2012 at 2:50 AM

Mr. Reflex I may have misinterpprredt my last drink. Thatbeing said I stand by it. I drink. Sometimes i’m sorry. Sometimes I’m not. “I love The Hammer. “. My dad loved Eddied Mtthews. I give zero fucks when it comes to giving the Milwaukee Braves credit.

11. seandconner - Sep 1, 2012 at 9:59 AM

brewcrewfan, you give the rest of us die-hard Brewer fans a bad name by not thinking about what you say. This entire article was nothing but humor, something Uecker is all about. If you would ask him, he would tell you that he doesn’t deserve a statue. He himself even made fun of himself getting a statue. Dude, just bask in the glory that is Uecker and what he has done for our team and for baseball and have another drink.

12. deadeyedesign23 - Sep 1, 2012 at 10:18 AM

This statue was brought to you by….i can’t find it…to hell with it!

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester