Aug 31, 2012, 2:56 PM EDT
While Joe Mauer‘s soiree on the waiver wire made big headlines, the fact that Felix Hernandez was out there too was unknown until Friday, when FOXSports.com’s Jon Morosi reported that both Hernandez and Jason Vargas have been claimed on waivers.
Kevin Millwood cleared waivers and is thus eligible to be traded. However, he’d have to be moved today in order to be postseason eligible for another team.
Morosi reports that neither Hernandez nor Vargas will be traded to the teams that claimed them. That was a given with Hernandez, but perhaps a deal could have been worked out with Vargas.
Hernandez has won his last nine decisions to move to the forefront of the AL Cy Young race. He’s 13-5 with a league-best 2.43 ERA.
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 35
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 10
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 60
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 78
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)