Aug 31, 2012, 2:56 PM EST
While Joe Mauer‘s soiree on the waiver wire made big headlines, the fact that Felix Hernandez was out there too was unknown until Friday, when FOXSports.com’s Jon Morosi reported that both Hernandez and Jason Vargas have been claimed on waivers.
Kevin Millwood cleared waivers and is thus eligible to be traded. However, he’d have to be moved today in order to be postseason eligible for another team.
Morosi reports that neither Hernandez nor Vargas will be traded to the teams that claimed them. That was a given with Hernandez, but perhaps a deal could have been worked out with Vargas.
Hernandez has won his last nine decisions to move to the forefront of the AL Cy Young race. He’s 13-5 with a league-best 2.43 ERA.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (87)