Jimmy Rollins apologizes to Charlie Manuel for not hustling on pop-up

Aug 31, 2012, 8:45 PM EDT

Jimmy Rollins Getty Getty Images

Jimmy Rollins was pulled from Thursday’s game against the Mets for not hustling on an infield pop-up in the sixth inning. The veteran shortstop was involved in a similar incident two weeks ago when he failed to run out a ground ball, so Manuel decided to send a message by benching him. However, it appears that Rollins has served his penance, as he was back in the starting lineup tonight against the Braves.

According to Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com, Rollins and Manuel had a 10-minute meeting this afternoon to clear the air on the situation.

“It was a good talk,” Rollins said. “You break the rules, you get punished. Plain and simple.”

For his part, Manuel said that he intended to have Rollins in the lineup before the meeting. Still, he appreciated Rollins taking the initiative.

“He apologized,” Manuel said. “He walked in and manned-up.”

“I thought about sitting him,” Manuel said. “But I can always sit him. I can do what I want because I’m the manager. I think we need him in our lineup because he’s a big part of our team. If it comes up again, I’ll do something about it.”

Rollins and Manuel still have a difference of philosophy on the subject, which you can read in full in Salisbury’s story, but I can’t help but think that this hustling thing wouldn’t be getting as much attention if the Phillies were in playoff contention and Rollins wasn’t hitting in the .240′s.

1. kevinleaptrot - Aug 31, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Quick, somebody check the clubhouse for fried chicken and beer!

2. ag4913 - Aug 31, 2012 at 8:56 PM

maybe he should be apologizing to his teammates as well

3. grapes911 - Aug 31, 2012 at 9:00 PM

“… I can’t help but think that this hustling thing wouldn’t be getting as much attention if the Phillies were in playoff contention and Rollins wasn’t hitting in the .240′s.”

That’s not the case though. Plus, Jimmy was benched coming off an MVP season in 2008 when the team was in contention. The guy needs to get his ass in gear. Simple as that.

4. jazz607 - Aug 31, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Last year for Jimmy! Take your lazy million dollar a$$ somewhere else! We in Philly want players that play with passion and respect the fans hard earned money!

• theawesomersfranchise - Aug 31, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Typical and classless

5. Old Phaithful - Aug 31, 2012 at 11:44 PM

I’m glad Jimmy is back on our team. He is still a play-maker. He’s getting media attention for something that most players not named Chase Utley would do ~ take for granted that the gazillionth fly ball he hit will be caught. He just got busted for the same maneuver in a two week timeframe. In my view, sort of quoting that nut Len who I actually like even though he’s a Yankees fan…LEAVE JIMMY ALONE!

6. randygnyc - Sep 1, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Natslady didn’t understand what benching Rollins would accomplish, outside of helping to lose the game. This was a teaching opportunity for Charlie and he even explained how important it was for the younger players to see it first hand. And the public embarrassment portion of the lesson seemed to resonate enough with rollins as it was the impetus to deliver an apology to Charlie. It was a little alarming when Charlie said (I don’t remember specifically) that he appreciated it but we’ll see his performance going forward, as of he was skeptical (that’s the impression I got)

7. drmonkeyarmy - Sep 1, 2012 at 8:32 AM

I am so tired of the Jimmy sucks narrative that some Phillies fans like to perpetuate. Go on, find me a SS who is having clearly better years. Go search on fangraphs by SS WAR and you will see that only 3 SS’s rate higher than him this year.

• Francisco (FC) - Sep 1, 2012 at 10:17 AM

He doesn’t suck, but Charlie simply holds him to a higher standard than the rest. I would speculate that Charlie thinks Jimmy has to be some sort of leader and example due to his tenure and stature in Philly. I for one am tired of the narrative that blasts Charlie Manuel and paints him as some kind of retard for calling Jimmy on the spot. This is between Charlie and Jimmy, it’s up to Charlie how he wants to handle Rollins and what he wants from him, everyone else should get off both the manager’s and player’s case and let them resolve it.

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 1, 2012 at 3:42 PM

I have no problem with what Charlie did. None at all. It’s just I read comments some time and I just shake my head. Seriously, Rollins has the 4th highest WAR for SS in MLB according to fangraphs. To me, that is impressive.

Three legends off to Cooperstown