Aug 31, 2012, 8:45 PM EDT
Jimmy Rollins was pulled from Thursday’s game against the Mets for not hustling on an infield pop-up in the sixth inning. The veteran shortstop was involved in a similar incident two weeks ago when he failed to run out a ground ball, so Manuel decided to send a message by benching him. However, it appears that Rollins has served his penance, as he was back in the starting lineup tonight against the Braves.
According to Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com, Rollins and Manuel had a 10-minute meeting this afternoon to clear the air on the situation.
“It was a good talk,” Rollins said. “You break the rules, you get punished. Plain and simple.”
For his part, Manuel said that he intended to have Rollins in the lineup before the meeting. Still, he appreciated Rollins taking the initiative.
“He apologized,” Manuel said. “He walked in and manned-up.”
“I thought about sitting him,” Manuel said. “But I can always sit him. I can do what I want because I’m the manager. I think we need him in our lineup because he’s a big part of our team. If it comes up again, I’ll do something about it.”
Rollins and Manuel still have a difference of philosophy on the subject, which you can read in full in Salisbury’s story, but I can’t help but think that this hustling thing wouldn’t be getting as much attention if the Phillies were in playoff contention and Rollins wasn’t hitting in the .240’s.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 8
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 10
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 96
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)