Aug 31, 2012, 8:45 PM EDT
Jimmy Rollins was pulled from Thursday’s game against the Mets for not hustling on an infield pop-up in the sixth inning. The veteran shortstop was involved in a similar incident two weeks ago when he failed to run out a ground ball, so Manuel decided to send a message by benching him. However, it appears that Rollins has served his penance, as he was back in the starting lineup tonight against the Braves.
According to Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com, Rollins and Manuel had a 10-minute meeting this afternoon to clear the air on the situation.
“It was a good talk,” Rollins said. “You break the rules, you get punished. Plain and simple.”
For his part, Manuel said that he intended to have Rollins in the lineup before the meeting. Still, he appreciated Rollins taking the initiative.
“He apologized,” Manuel said. “He walked in and manned-up.”
“I thought about sitting him,” Manuel said. “But I can always sit him. I can do what I want because I’m the manager. I think we need him in our lineup because he’s a big part of our team. If it comes up again, I’ll do something about it.”
Rollins and Manuel still have a difference of philosophy on the subject, which you can read in full in Salisbury’s story, but I can’t help but think that this hustling thing wouldn’t be getting as much attention if the Phillies were in playoff contention and Rollins wasn’t hitting in the .240’s.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 70
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 82
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 64
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)