Aug 31, 2012, 8:45 PM EDT
Jimmy Rollins was pulled from Thursday’s game against the Mets for not hustling on an infield pop-up in the sixth inning. The veteran shortstop was involved in a similar incident two weeks ago when he failed to run out a ground ball, so Manuel decided to send a message by benching him. However, it appears that Rollins has served his penance, as he was back in the starting lineup tonight against the Braves.
According to Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com, Rollins and Manuel had a 10-minute meeting this afternoon to clear the air on the situation.
“It was a good talk,” Rollins said. “You break the rules, you get punished. Plain and simple.”
For his part, Manuel said that he intended to have Rollins in the lineup before the meeting. Still, he appreciated Rollins taking the initiative.
“He apologized,” Manuel said. “He walked in and manned-up.”
“I thought about sitting him,” Manuel said. “But I can always sit him. I can do what I want because I’m the manager. I think we need him in our lineup because he’s a big part of our team. If it comes up again, I’ll do something about it.”
Rollins and Manuel still have a difference of philosophy on the subject, which you can read in full in Salisbury’s story, but I can’t help but think that this hustling thing wouldn’t be getting as much attention if the Phillies were in playoff contention and Rollins wasn’t hitting in the .240′s.
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 21
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 38
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 21
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 66
- Jon Lester is willing to return to the Red Sox as a free agent even if they trade him 32
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (164)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)