Aug 31, 2012, 8:45 PM EDT
Jimmy Rollins was pulled from Thursday’s game against the Mets for not hustling on an infield pop-up in the sixth inning. The veteran shortstop was involved in a similar incident two weeks ago when he failed to run out a ground ball, so Manuel decided to send a message by benching him. However, it appears that Rollins has served his penance, as he was back in the starting lineup tonight against the Braves.
According to Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com, Rollins and Manuel had a 10-minute meeting this afternoon to clear the air on the situation.
“It was a good talk,” Rollins said. “You break the rules, you get punished. Plain and simple.”
For his part, Manuel said that he intended to have Rollins in the lineup before the meeting. Still, he appreciated Rollins taking the initiative.
“He apologized,” Manuel said. “He walked in and manned-up.”
“I thought about sitting him,” Manuel said. “But I can always sit him. I can do what I want because I’m the manager. I think we need him in our lineup because he’s a big part of our team. If it comes up again, I’ll do something about it.”
Rollins and Manuel still have a difference of philosophy on the subject, which you can read in full in Salisbury’s story, but I can’t help but think that this hustling thing wouldn’t be getting as much attention if the Phillies were in playoff contention and Rollins wasn’t hitting in the .240’s.
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 59
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 50
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 57
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (89)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)