Aug 31, 2012, 1:48 PM EDT
There had been some speculation that Joey Votto would rejoin the Reds when rosters expand Saturday, but John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer now says he expects the former MVP to come off the disabled list Monday instead.
That’s when the Reds return home to begin a three-game series against the Phillies and would give Votto a little extra time to make sure his surgically repaired knee feels good while rehabbing in the minors.
There’s no real reason for the Reds to rush Votto, even a little bit, because they have baseball’s best record at 80-52, lead the NL Central by 8.5 games, and have played extremely well without him in the lineup.
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 9
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 14
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 75
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 52
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (277)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)