Aug 31, 2012, 1:48 PM EDT
There had been some speculation that Joey Votto would rejoin the Reds when rosters expand Saturday, but John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer now says he expects the former MVP to come off the disabled list Monday instead.
That’s when the Reds return home to begin a three-game series against the Phillies and would give Votto a little extra time to make sure his surgically repaired knee feels good while rehabbing in the minors.
There’s no real reason for the Reds to rush Votto, even a little bit, because they have baseball’s best record at 80-52, lead the NL Central by 8.5 games, and have played extremely well without him in the lineup.
- Watch Live: Red Wings at Blackhawks
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- LIVE: Third round of the HP Byron Nelson Championship
- LIVE: Day 1 of Indy 500 Qualifying
- LIVE: Action from Hangtown Motocross Classic
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators