Aug 31, 2012, 1:48 PM EDT
There had been some speculation that Joey Votto would rejoin the Reds when rosters expand Saturday, but John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer now says he expects the former MVP to come off the disabled list Monday instead.
That’s when the Reds return home to begin a three-game series against the Phillies and would give Votto a little extra time to make sure his surgically repaired knee feels good while rehabbing in the minors.
There’s no real reason for the Reds to rush Votto, even a little bit, because they have baseball’s best record at 80-52, lead the NL Central by 8.5 games, and have played extremely well without him in the lineup.
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 70
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 66
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 44
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 71
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (71)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (70)