Aug 31, 2012, 1:48 PM EDT
There had been some speculation that Joey Votto would rejoin the Reds when rosters expand Saturday, but John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer now says he expects the former MVP to come off the disabled list Monday instead.
That’s when the Reds return home to begin a three-game series against the Phillies and would give Votto a little extra time to make sure his surgically repaired knee feels good while rehabbing in the minors.
There’s no real reason for the Reds to rush Votto, even a little bit, because they have baseball’s best record at 80-52, lead the NL Central by 8.5 games, and have played extremely well without him in the lineup.
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 78
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)