Aug 31, 2012, 9:41 AM EDT
Yeah, on the very top end, sure. But as the A’s, Rays and Pirates are showing — and as the Phillies, Red Sox and Angels are too, in their own way — payroll is not destiny these days.
At least that was my argument. Erik took it the other way. TV is boring when everyone agrees, though, so it’s all good.
This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 70
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 83
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 64
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)