Aug 31, 2012, 9:41 AM EST
Yeah, on the very top end, sure. But as the A’s, Rays and Pirates are showing — and as the Phillies, Red Sox and Angels are too, in their own way — payroll is not destiny these days.
At least that was my argument. Erik took it the other way. TV is boring when everyone agrees, though, so it’s all good.
This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 71
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 40
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 22
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 15
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)