Aug 31, 2012, 5:59 PM EDT
The 21-year-old Myers will remain with Triple-A Omaha through the end of the minor league season, and because the Storm Chasers are in the playoffs, that could mean he’ll still be playing in Triple-A through mid-September.
And it’s no lock that the Royals will call him up afterwards. Myers doesn’t have to be added to the 40-man roster this winter, so the Royals could decide not to promote him in order to give themselves a little more flexibility in their offseason maneuverings. After all, Jose Guillen is going to be a free agent.
Of course, that’d hardly be fair to Myers, who has had a case for a promotion for months. He’s hit .306/.383/.592 with 36 homers and 105 RBI between Double- and Triple-A this year. He has 23 homers in 95 games in Triple-A. The Royals called up a 21-year-old Eric Hosmer after just 26 games in Triple-A last year.
But then again, Hosmer wasn’t blocked by Jeff Francoeur.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 3
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 45
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 87
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)