Aug 31, 2012, 5:59 PM EDT
The 21-year-old Myers will remain with Triple-A Omaha through the end of the minor league season, and because the Storm Chasers are in the playoffs, that could mean he’ll still be playing in Triple-A through mid-September.
And it’s no lock that the Royals will call him up afterwards. Myers doesn’t have to be added to the 40-man roster this winter, so the Royals could decide not to promote him in order to give themselves a little more flexibility in their offseason maneuverings. After all, Jose Guillen is going to be a free agent.
Of course, that’d hardly be fair to Myers, who has had a case for a promotion for months. He’s hit .306/.383/.592 with 36 homers and 105 RBI between Double- and Triple-A this year. He has 23 homers in 95 games in Triple-A. The Royals called up a 21-year-old Eric Hosmer after just 26 games in Triple-A last year.
But then again, Hosmer wasn’t blocked by Jeff Francoeur.
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 0
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 55
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 45
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 20
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 82
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (238)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)