Aug 31, 2012, 5:59 PM EDT
The 21-year-old Myers will remain with Triple-A Omaha through the end of the minor league season, and because the Storm Chasers are in the playoffs, that could mean he’ll still be playing in Triple-A through mid-September.
And it’s no lock that the Royals will call him up afterwards. Myers doesn’t have to be added to the 40-man roster this winter, so the Royals could decide not to promote him in order to give themselves a little more flexibility in their offseason maneuverings. After all, Jose Guillen is going to be a free agent.
Of course, that’d hardly be fair to Myers, who has had a case for a promotion for months. He’s hit .306/.383/.592 with 36 homers and 105 RBI between Double- and Triple-A this year. He has 23 homers in 95 games in Triple-A. The Royals called up a 21-year-old Eric Hosmer after just 26 games in Triple-A last year.
But then again, Hosmer wasn’t blocked by Jeff Francoeur.
- 2014 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 34
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12